Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics???

Options
  • 30-01-2015 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm interested in studying Economics at university level although I don't study it as a Leaving Cert subject. On top of that I only do Ordinary Level Maths but I do well in it and should get an A in the LC. (I was too lazy to keep up Higher Level)

So, anyone out there able to enlighten me further? How screwed would I be if I decided to do Economics considering I have no current exposure to it?

And are there any particular colleges with a good Economics set-up? I'm more than likely NUIG bound.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Personally, I'd say maths ability would be a bigger concern than not having studied economics at LC. Economics at third level has a fairly high maths content.

I do note that you don't actually say you dislike maths or find it difficult, but rather deliberately avoided HL; how prepared are you to tackle a course with a fair bit of maths stuff in it for 3 years though?

Best idea really is to find someone who is doing economics, and chat to them / have a look at textbooks / notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DoctorUtility

Disagree with Randy, I know a number of people who did the degree in UCD (not NUIG though) and the maths is perfectly manageable. If you can get through ordinary level, the maths in undergraduate economics is more than doable.

Posted this in another thread, might be of use to you:

There are basically three different components to an economics degree.

The first is economic theory, which a lot of people don't find practical for a business job. It's not used so much in reality.

The second is maths, and the maths is basic. It's around ordinary level maths, with some small additions like linear algebra and optimization.

The third is econometrics and that's done in much greater detail in other degrees.

If you're looking for a job in a business related field, one of the things that people hiring look for is maths and econometrics. As a result, if you can get the points, go for Economics and Finance or a major minor in Maths/Economics through Arts. Commerce too. You can get some choice there like specializing in Accounting or even specialize in economics later on, which is probably better for a job.

Unless you really want to become an economist and have a real passion for the subject (and even then, you'll need a masters bare minimum to become an economist), there are maybe better options for you to take.

Hope all of this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I think you'll have to do economics through arts if you're NUIG bound. There's Financial Maths and Economics, which is considered very very mathematical. I think you can get into that course with an A Ord-level. If you find that you do have a high aptitude for maths and would have gotten a B HL in the leaving, then this course would be manageable.

The Economics thru' arts wouldn't be as good as the Financial course and employers would be much more attracted to mathematical students. I would advise doing something along the lines of Arts with Economics and Maths, which shows that you would have knowledge in both areas. You'd want to be someone who'd enjoy mathematics for the other course, it's actually in the maths department in NUI, which pretty much tells you what it mainly comprises of.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

if economics is what appeals to you go for it. Im currently doing economics for LC and its grand, by far my easiest subject, things just make sense and feel like common knowledge. The Maths in LC is very low and very easy, given formula just sub figures in. Now i do think it requires a particular mindset however as there is some things which wont make sense to everyone, if things just click you will love it, however if you think you might have diffuculty in seeing how some things affect other things for example, you will hate just learning things off that you dont understand. My class tends to be like an english class where the teacher says something which can be easily contracticted, economics filled with paradoxes imo, e.g recession encourage people to save, however if they save they are not spending ruining the economy and making it worse.

Advertisement