Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCU journalism

Options
  • 30-01-2015 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So I pretty much am determined as f*** to get into this course but as the weeks get closer into the leaving cert Im stressing out and was wondering whether Im making the right decision on going to DCU everyone I've talked to say its an unreal college but Is it worth me pulling my hair out at the same time as the points are ridiculously high. I am eligible for the Hear but doubht they'll reduce a lot of points. HEEELLLPPPP
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Britch

I have to be honest- I did the masters in DCU in journalism and utterly hated my year doing it. I learnt absolutely nothing of value doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

It's a joke of a programme. As is most the communication programmes i.e journalism, media etc Most of the people I know who graduated from these programmes are either working for free, or unemployed.

I suppose if you're really interested in pursuing a career in this field, a degree will stand to you. Education is never wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sunshinejo

Wow really? Its a real eye opener hearing this as when I went to the open day so many people seemed to fond with the course and the way they illustrated the course itself seemed very attractive , communications on the other hand I wouldn't do as theres no work placement and there only in a few hours a week... Thanks for that though I'll keep my options open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Ultimately it's your decision at the end of the day. I think a degree in any area is essential these days. When you graduate, expect to work for free, and be prepared to freelance.

Ah the aul open day! Yes, they caught me there as well, but in reality, it's the opposite. If you want a 'handy' programme, this is it.

Yeah I grasp your perspective on it , it isint cheap to redo another 1st year! Communications had the highest amount of dropouts last year so that is saying something! Thanks for that though when researching about the course you really only want to hear about the good in it and turn a blind eye on everything else making you obvilious to the majority of things that could go wrong ✋ but yeah I'll thing twice when making a decision closer to the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

on open days they recruit the people from the class that 'drank the cool aid' so to speak, the people who love it.

You don't see the 35 other people dejected with the coures.

I have done two undergrads now (dit then dcu). My recommendation for colleges would be in dublin trinity or ucd, then galway or limerick if you want outside the city.

After 4 years in DCU I dont hold it in high regard, only maybe some of the science courses. Anything from the school of humanities or business school pales in comparison to other college offerings.

I'm literally hearing nothing but bad things,quite disappointing considering I'd love to be a tv broadcaster 🔫 thanks for that though I may as well look into other colleges!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

I would have thought DCU was one of the better college for business and IT/communication courses? Its business school is apparently much better than Trinity's, and on par with UCD.

Sunshinejo - explore all options, don't let what we said put you off doing it. I am sure you will hear a lot of negativity about all programmes. It's what YOU make of it at the end of the day. If you put the effort in with the programme/peers/general uni life, you will have a wonderful time, no matter where you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

Trinity is well overrated! It has the name, that's it!

OP wants to get into TV broadcasting. A degree in Journalism from one of the top Uni's in Ireland would be a good stepping stone.

Yeah I suppose that's true nothing is ever perfect and not everyone has the same perspective on things or in this case (college courses) think it was good to hear the bad as well as good for heads up as id hate to turn around half way through the year upset that I wasn't notified about certain things in the course! But thanks Dylan I guess it is what I make of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Out of curiosity what is the specific issue with the communications course? Is it the content, the teaching style,something else?

I wouldn't know since I've never been in one other than what other people tell me. On their behalf it would be the independent work placement during the year and really short hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BoyceLeaving15

I was actually looking at DCU also. Actually put Communications first on my CAO followed by Journalism and Multimedia so bit disappointing to hear this. The open day was brilliant and David Atkinson (student and hosts backstage stuff for the voice) gave a great talk about the course so thats a shame. Might consider changing the order of my courses now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Really enjoying communications studies, I think you get out of it what you put into it.
    From the Multimedia production soc, to the DCUfm and DCUtv and the college view paper.
    I am currently in 1st year and looking forward to the trip in to the Irish Times this term.

I suggest you have a look at the lectures for the school of Communications, check them out, what their rep is, what have they published and when. Really pleased with the year so far and how the topics have been handled.
    http://www.dcu.ie/info/staff.php3?query=communications

I was at the open day to so I can relate to how your feeling about hearing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jenny_MB

Hi, everyone
    I'm thinking about transferring from DIT to DCU. I'm extremely disappointed with DIT's facilities, and the lack interest from certain lecturers, who turn up to every class 10-20 minutes late. If anyone has any advice or information about DCU's Journalism course I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks

Advertisement