Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asbestos Tiles

Options
  • 30-01-2015 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

My father wants to do some work on his house, which will involve removing some tiles from the roof. The existing tiles were 1950's vintage made from asbestos cement. I am finding it difficult to get information on the safety of removing these tiles to a skip. Some neighbours have had work done which involved dumping these tiles, but aren't there regulations about the disposal of asbestos, or are these tiles safe because they were mixed with cement?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Have a read through this: http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Chemical_and_Hazardous_Substances/Asbestos_Guidelines.pdf
    Safehands wrote: »
    ....safety of removing these tiles to a skip...

The roof tiles need to be taken away by a licensed haulier for disposal at a licensed facility...dumping them in a skip is not really an option (is illegal)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Have a read through this: http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Chemical_and_Hazardous_Substances/Asbestos_Guidelines.pdf
    The roof tiles need to be taken away by a licensed haulier for disposal at a licensed facility...dumping them in a skip is not really an option (is illegal)!

Thanks for that. It is very helpful. I will contact the HSA. I wonder do many people know about this though. An awful lot of work has been done to houses in the area and I've never seen any special precautions taken. It makes you wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

The enviornment section of your local council may also be able to help.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

As an enforcement office once said to me...don't worry about what anybody else has done. :)

The only way I can suggest dealing with it is the right way.

Just bear in mind that for the removal and disposal of asbestos roof tiles...it's not men in white suits and masks with biohazard gear and flashing lights...whoever removes them just needs to know what they are doing, take necessary (very simple) precautions and then the removal/disposal of the roof tiles, off site, needs to carried out by a licensed company.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Safehands wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It is very helpful. I will contact the HSA. I wonder do many people know about this though. An awful lot of work has been done to houses in the area and I've never seen any special precautions taken. It makes you wonder!

Establish the costs first. These licensed boys do not come cheap.Last time I checked, asbestos tiles/slates/sheets were sent to Germany to be disposed of. How many tiles will be removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

Establish the costs first. These licensed boys do not come cheap.Last time I checked, asbestos tiles/slates/sheets were sent to Germany to be disposed of. How many tiles will be removed?

Probably about ten sq mt.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

DOCARCH wrote: »
    As an enforcement office once said to me...don't worry about what anybody else has done. :)

The only way I can suggest dealing with it is the right way.

Just bear in mind that for the removal and disposal of asbestos roof tiles...it's not men in white suits and masks with biohazard gear and flashing lights...whoever removes them just needs to know what they are doing, take necessary (very simple) precautions and then the removal/disposal of the roof tiles, off site, needs to carried out by a licensed company.

Having watched a relative die a gruesome death through lung-disease due to breathing asbestos dust decades previously it is not worth it and criminal to expose anyone else to this terrible hazard. Docarch if panels or tiles are sound with no loose or broken edges may they be safely dismantled and stacked by builders to await collection by licensed company (of which there are, I understand, three in Ireland)?

Advertisement