Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online decisions

Options
  • 30-01-2015 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, first post in this forum so apologies if this has been asked before. I'm looking to buy my first mechanical watch and torn between a few brands.

Unfortunately (to my knowledge) there are no dealers for these brands here. I'm sure in the world of watch collecting I'm not the first one to encounter this issue. Is this just a catch 22?

I think I've read people buying two watches from the same company and sending one back?

Budget isn't huge but the watches I'm looking at are nomos, sinn, stowa and weiss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Can you provide a link for Weiss - I'm not sure I've heard of them. You can see Nomos and Sinn on the high street in Germany (though you'll have to work a bit for Sinn). Stowa is online only, if I'm not mistaken. I'm aware that distance selling regs normally mean you can send stuff back within 7 days but I don't know whether that works cross-border - in any case postal/courier delays could mean that you've got to make up your mind pretty sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

It's http://weisswatchcompany.com, they're american and currently only do one model, but I quite like it, case size runs at 42mm and I've only small wrists, hence trying them on is the ideal.

The problem I guess is that each watch is c1000e-1500e, if I wanted to try them all I'd have to fork out 4+k, plus the hassle of sending them back. Pity there aren't more dealers here for these as the German watches seem to be popular enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

cmyk wrote: »
    It's http://weisswatchcompany.com, they're american and currently only do one model, but I quite like it, case size runs at 42mm and I've only small wrists, hence trying them on is the ideal.

The problem I guess is that each watch is c1000e-1500e, if I wanted to try them all I'd have to fork out 4+k, plus the hassle of sending them back. Pity there aren't more dealers here for these as the German watches seem to be popular enough.

Just out of curiosity, which Sinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Welcome to the forum, just my 2c below:

If you are importing from the states then be prepared to add Duty to the price of the watch.

Sinn and Stowa have a very good reputation and will most likely hold their value better than an unknown US brand if you do decide to sell or trade in future.

Personally the Weiss watches look pretty generic to me and it looks like the American watch making boils down to the cases only.

Zagato wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, which Sinn?

The 356 flieger is currently top of my list, with my only concern being the height of the case.
    Sinn and Stowa have a very good reputation and will most likely hold their value better than an unknown US brand if you do decide to sell or trade in future.

Personally the Weiss watches look pretty generic to me and it looks like the American watch making boils down to the cases only.

Thanks Mredsnapper, the weiss was bottom of the list for a few reasons, the duty being one and interesting point on it being generic. As above the sinn flieger is top of my list, I wonder are there any owners here at all?

• Advertisement

The 356 flieger is currently top of my list, with my only concern being the height of the case.

Thanks Mredsnapper, the weiss was bottom of the list for a few reasons, the duty being one and interesting point on it being generic. As above the sinn flieger is top of my list, I wonder are there any owners here at all?

I know of at least 2 Sinn owners on this list and several people that would love to own one including me. I really fancy their quarter Arabic dials and would love a 556a (out of production) or 656a on one of the H bracelets or on leather. I don't dive and have decided that I don't like bezels but their dive watches are held in high regard as is their case hardening technology, oil filled cases etc. Not sure about the blue copper sulphate indicator on some watches though. There are some bricks and mortor shops selling them in the UK if you are ever thereabouts.

It's a strange one as it's been a brand (and watch) that's grown on me and slowly edged its way to the top over the last year, I'd just like to see/try one in the flesh to confirm, as, to me at least it's quite a lot of money.

I'm with you on the dive watches, I'm not a fan of bezels either. Unfortunately I've no trips to the UK planned at all...I may have to just bite the bullet over the next few weeks.

It's a strange one as it's been a brand (and watch) that's grown on me and slowly edged its way to the top over the last year, I'd just like to see/try one in the flesh to confirm, as, to me at least it's quite a lot of money.

I'm with you on the dive watches, I'm not a fan of bezels either. Unfortunately I've no trips to the UK planned at all...I may have to just bite the bullet over the next few weeks.

You could always plan your easter holidays around a trip to their factory shop near Frankfurt ;) I'd love to but I'd have to think of a really good excuse for Mr's Mredsnapper first.

This was actually the reason I was asking. I've never owned one although I'd love to, but one of the noticeable things with a lot of Sinn's is they are often very high, and not necessarily that wide, which must make them look a bit different. I don't have big wrists, and have always found that anything more than 12mm looks quite chunky, although it depends on diameter as well obviously. I think I'd prefer a 358 as they are a bit wider, preferably the Jubilaum, or the 6000 Jubilaum. Have you looked at the side profiles on they're website, the latter of my selections is 16.5mm.

I would say that it is pretty unlikely the Stowa could look bad on your wrist (unless it's 9"), whichever model you pick, and easy enoughj to sell given the wait. Are you thinking pilot or MO?

You could always plan your easter holidays around a trip to their factory shop near Frankfurt ;) I'd love to but I'd have to think of a really good excuse for Mr's Mredsnapper first.

As would I...belated valentines trip ; )
    Zagato wrote: »
    This was actually the reason I was asking. I've never owned one although I'd love to, but one of the noticeable things with a lot of Sinn's is they are often very high, and not necessarily that wide, which must make them look a bit different. I don't have big wrists, and have always found that anything more than 12mm looks quite chunky, although it depends on diameter as well obviously. I think I'd prefer a 358 as they are a bit wider, preferably the Jubilaum, or the 6000 Jubilaum. Have you looked at the side profiles on they're website, the latter of my selections is 16.5mm.

I would say that it is pretty unlikely the Stowa could look bad on your wrist (unless it's 9"), whichever model you pick, and easy enoughj to sell given the wait. Are you thinking pilot or MO?

Yep that's why it'd be ideal to try before buying, it could have very awkward proportions, I've tried as best as I can to get an idea from images. I've ruled the 358 out as I have a mvmt cheap quartz that has a 45mm dial and I feel it's far too big for my wrist.

I much prefer the sinn to the stowa (I assume you meant the flieger chrono). You'll have to excuse my ignorance but MO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

You'll have to excuse my ignorance but MO?

Stowa Marine Original
    http://www.stowa.de/lshop,showrub,14228910594351,en,1422891060-4351,marine,index,,,.htm

Ah, thanks Mitch, I don't know why I'm not taken by that stowa, I just find the proportions of the sinn much more balanced, though I'm new to the whole watch thing so I'd be unaware of the brand history etc.

Ah, thanks Mitch, I don't know why I'm not taken by that stowa, I just find the proportions of the sinn much more balanced, though I'm new to the whole watch thing so I'd be unaware of the brand history etc.

Well there are a few people around with STOWA Flieger's, don't know about the chrono, but it's just slightly bigger. Don't know where you are but someone might let you try if you are in their vicinity. Unfortunately I am in London now so likely won't be able to help. A few guys with Sinn's too, but don't know about a 356.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

That "Black Forest" Flieger with the yellow detail on the dial looks fantastic

Advertisement