Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding the best BJJ place for me

Options
  • 30-01-2015 6:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey there, made this account specifically to ask this question. I've had a fascination and curiosity about mma and bjj to a less extent. I remember watching my first event on Bravo, UFC 51 it was, i was only 13-14 then, so the thought never crossed my mind this is something i could do, always the interest and never put 2+2 together and wondered if Ireland had gyms for it. The past 5 years, from watching Irish guys break onto the UK market, i noticed they would mention gyms, Irish gyms, "I could do that if i wanted" but for some reason never chased it.

Now the bjj and mma popularity has reached the masses, when i was going to take a genuine stab, i noticed every Tom, Dick & Harry was getting into it, and it discouraged me, not just from some hipster standpoint of "oh if it's popular g'luck", just the type of people that i noticed getting into it, the bold boys(scumbags) to put it not so nicely. At this stage i don't care, i'm not getting any younger, i'll be 24 soon, i want to take a stab, i've always had an obsessive mentality when i get into something, so want to know where i can learn as much as possible, with guys experienced at a top level, good pricing, and just a calm place without ego.

I'm 6'5" got a lanky wirey build(bag of bones), i know there's pro's and con's to every body type, short and muscular types have to play to their strength's, i want to be guided to find mine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Where do you live. There's little point somebody recommending a gym in Dublin if you live in Galway.
    If you want to learn as much as possible, you need'll to invest time, so picking a gym that's accessible is important. Ideally close to your house, or maybe somewhere you pass often

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FreshLaochra

Mellor wrote: »
    Where do you live. There's little point somebody recommending a gym in Dublin if you live in Galway.
    If you want to learn as much as possible, you need'll to invest time, so picking a gym that's accessible is important. Ideally close to your house, or maybe somewhere you pass often

I'm from north Dublin, but willing to travel an hour away if i know it's filled with people who teach and train bjj at a high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Im looking into bjj myself to take up but I don't think you can go wrong with any bjj club mate as this will definitely filter out more doochbags with egos than kickboxing for example as in bjj your always tapping you have to or (snap) so big egos wouldn't like getting tapped so I assume they wouldn't last. Have you considered bjj revolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I'm from north Dublin, but willing to travel an hour away if i know it's filled with people who teach and train bjj at a high level.

There is already a fresh thread open about BJJ in North Dublin. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057368241) Go try the places mentioned there and see how you get on.

Travelling for an hour for is ridiculous if there are good options available on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

Your best bet is to search which gyms are nearest to where you live/work and try at least 2 or 3, most clubs offer at least one free class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

OP,

Where in North Dublin are you based? There are several clubs in North Dublin, all with fantastic instructors and great training partners.

I travel an hour across the city in heavy traffic to train. In all honestyit can be a tough slog from time to time, but it very worthwhile (for me). I would recommend that you find a good club close to you, as you will be more likely to stick with it.

Hope this helps

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Kyuzo in Glasnevin have a begginer BJJ course starting tonight with a couple of spaces left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Now the bjj and mma popularity has reached the masses, when i was going to take a genuine stab, i noticed every Tom, Dick & Harry was getting into it, and it discouraged me, not just from some hipster standpoint of "oh if it's popular g'luck", just the type of people that i noticed getting into it, the bold boys(scumbags) to put it not so nicely.

I can tell you straight off that the scumbags usually last a few weeks before they fcuk off. There is no room for egos or bullys in a gym and if you find a good gym, they will not be tolerated... I can tell you straight out that having to tap constantly is a very humbling experience and scumbags tend not to be humble and if they stick with it, they change for the better.

Kuyzo or Ryano are both brilliant gyms and you are lucky toi be in the vicinity of 2 top class gyms

Advertisement