Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Desk Top Advise

Options
  • 30-01-2015 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

A hope someone can provide advice. A do a lot of work on my home computer but lately my upper back has been absolutely killing me. My work desk is your standard office desk with a curved corner. The curve provides good support for my arms when using the mouse and keyboard, and I've no back issues there. But my home desk is just straight and provides no such support so I think that is the problem.

Ideally, I'd get a one of those curved desks myself (like http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/S29006412/) but I have limited space and can't find anything smaller. Every corner curved desk I see is at least 160cm long which is too big for my space.

Alternatively, a straight desk with a contoured section in the middle (like http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo314/sgmexilelrrp/photo1-3_zps4aba4124.jpg). I would have bought that desk but I hate the steel frame and shelving that comes with it.

This is annoying me big time so I was thinking about getting one custom made. My current desk has height adjustable legs which I would like to reuse, so I'd only need the desk top made and holes drilled for the leg screws. I'd be looking for a size of about 140 x 95.

I'm not looking for anything fancy or of expensive wood. Just sturdy and functional (like ikea's desks I suppose) with perhaps a raised part for the monitors at eye level.

I have never needed a carpenter before so I've no idea how to find one that could do this, or a rough idea of the price.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there a difference between the monitor height on your work and home desks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

My work monitors are height adjustable. There isn't a raised part for the monitors at work but I have their own stands fully extended.

My home monitors are fixed and are not adjustable. If I adjust my chair height so my monitors are at eye level, the desk is then too high for my arms. So I think a two tier approach is best.

To be honest, I could probably put a monitor stand together myself. It is the shape/size of the desk top that I need done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A hope someone can provide advice. A do a lot of work on my home computer but lately my upper back has been absolutely killing me. My work desk is your standard office desk with a curved corner. The curve provides good support for my arms when using the mouse and keyboard, and I've no back issues there. But my home desk is just straight and provides no such support so I think that is the problem.

Ideally, I'd get a one of those curved desks myself (like http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/S29006412/) but I have limited space and can't find anything smaller. Every corner curved desk I see is at least 160cm long which is too big for my space.

Alternatively, a straight desk with a contoured section in the middle (like http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo314/sgmexilelrrp/photo1-3_zps4aba4124.jpg). I would have bought that desk but I hate the steel frame and shelving that comes with it.

This is annoying me big time so I was thinking about getting one custom made. My current desk has height adjustable legs which I would like to reuse, so I'd only need the desk top made and holes drilled for the leg screws. I'd be looking for a size of about 140 x 95.

I'm not looking for anything fancy or of expensive wood. Just sturdy and functional (like ikea's desks I suppose) with perhaps a raised part for the monitors at eye level.

I have never needed a carpenter before so I've no idea how to find one that could do this, or a rough idea of the price.

Any advise would be appreciated.
    Could you put up some pictures of your current desk space and your location , what you need sounds straight foward

I took the dimensions of that ikea desk (http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/S29006412/) that is perfect except it is too big and scaled it down to the size I want while keeping the proportions the same. I arrived at (give or take a millimeter):

3lHIKvB.png?1

My location is Dublin 8.

I noticed that that ikea desk has a metal structure in the shape of the desk that basically supports the desk top. I was thinking of simply fixing a leg to each of the five corners. Will that be sufficient. It needs to support three monitors. I also thought MDF is the type of wood to use but I heard it needs support and can sag over time. I'm a complete novice when it comes to this so I'll defer to the experts here.

Feel free to PM me if you yourself can offer me a quote.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Abit of topic but what type of chair are you using? A good office chair with lumbar support might also be a good investment if sitting for long periods of time.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'll also be buying a markus chair in ikea which has received very positive feedback regarding ergonomic design

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

The support provided by your chair, and the monitor height play a significant role here. Prop the monitor on a few books to bring the height to that which works for you in the office.

Do that before spending money on a desk that might make little difference.

OK, but I'd still like to know a rough idea of the cost should I go down the route of getting one made, and what type of wood to use.

Desk legs in Ikea cost from €2.50 to about €15. The ultimate price will then depend on the material choice for the top. A sheet of melamine faced MDF will cost ~€40, hardwood veneered €40-80 depending on the wood. After that you're talking edge banding and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Best option for your back is one of these:

https://www.kos.ie/product/variable-balans-kneeling-chair

• Advertisement

lgk wrote: »
    Desk legs in Ikea cost from €2.50 to about €15. The ultimate price will then depend on the material choice for the top. A sheet of melamine faced MDF will cost ~€40, hardwood veneered €40-80 depending on the wood. After that you're talking edge banding and time.

Thanks. Do you have a rough idea of banding and time cost? I just want to ensure I'm getting a fair price and not being ripped off.

Thanks. Do you have a rough idea of banding and time cost? I just want to ensure I'm getting a fair price and not being ripped off.

Edge banding costs around €10+ for 25', again, depending on wood species and width.

As a DIYer, I can't say what a decent cabinet maker will charge per hour, or how many hours this would take them, but it shouldn't really take more than a couple of hours for someone with the right skills and tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

would cutting the ikea desk along the two long straight sides work. i.e. ur 140 and 95
    The curving and curved edging it what would cost the mula

Post the dims of the Ikea one as I have one here and I can look to see if the chopping would work without messing up the leg fixings

or perhaps the cut down top would just sit on your existing.

The other idea is to try standing up :)
    I have seen dual monitor setups

Try the markus by all means but I brought mine back.....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

The dimensions of the ikea desk are 160cm x 110cm (at its widest point).
    The space where it needs to go can only accommodate 140cm x 100cm.

I suppose I could cut the desk although I wouldn't be able to use its metal frame and I would need to support it with 5 stand alone legs (also ikea but they are sturdy).

I don't know if the desk top can cope without that metal frame underneath it. I assume it is there for a reason rather than simply using freestanding legs.

Will look tomorrow at the design.
    if you just put 5 legs on it, the chipboard will sag, hence the frame

Don't cut the Ikea tops. Majority are just cardboard honeycomb sandwiched between two plastic sheets. Close to impossible to refinish those to look any way well once cut.

lgk wrote: »
    Don't cut the Ikea tops. Majority are just cardboard honeycomb sandwiched between two plastic sheets. Close to impossible to refinish those to look any way well once cut.
    Not this desk.
    Product description from the link the OP provided
    Right-hand corner table top:
    Particleboard, Birch veneer, Clear acrylic lacquer, Foil, Clear acrylic lacquer, ABS plastic

Advertisement