Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Account check at airport

• 29-01-2015 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

I will be entering New Zealand shortly, namely Christchurch but I don't have the amount of money in my account that your supposed to have. Will it be checked? Would it be silly to go without it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    I will be entering New Zealand shortly, namely Christchurch but I don't have the amount of money in my account that your supposed to have. Will it be checked? Would it be silly to go without it?

You should be fine mate, this question is asked and the answers that I have seen is always that they didn`t check it.

They barely even looked at my visa letter properly.

All that said, you should get a job quick as whatever money you have won`t last long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Can be checked but not often! Only heard of 2 people who had to provide proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that having money available to cover ordinary living expenses, rental deposit, rent and unforeseen expenses is prudent. You might not get paid until a month after you get a job and that could be a while after you arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

justshane wrote: »
    Can be checked but not often! Only heard of 2 people who had to provide proof.

and what happens if you don't have it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

and what happens if you don't have it?

You're sent home.

The answer to your question about "would it be silly to go without it" is a resounding YES.

Not because you might get stopped at the airport.

But because you will need that cash to live on until you get work and start getting paid.

• Advertisement

You're sent home.

The answer to your question about "would it be silly to go without it" is a resounding YES.

Not because you might get stopped at the airport.

But because you will need that cash to live on until you get work and start getting paid.

Thanks for the advice but I have a brother over there so I'v a place to stay for free and a job to walk into so its hardly that crazy?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Thanks for the advice but I have a brother over there so I'v a place to stay for free and a job to walk into so its hardly that crazy?

You're taking a chance on getting sent home for not complying with the requirements of the visa you're entering the country under.

Nobody here will tell you you'll be ok, you're taking a chance and it's up to you to decide if you're willing to take the risk and potentially deal with the all the consequences of being stopped, short- and long-term.

TrueDub wrote: »
    You're taking a chance on getting sent home for not complying with the requirements of the visa you're entering the country under.

Nobody here will tell you you'll be ok, you're taking a chance and it's up to you to decide if you're willing to take the risk and potentially deal with the all the consequences of being stopped, short- and long-term.

New Zealand are supposedly quite lax when it comes to this in comparison to Australia?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

New Zealand are supposedly quite lax when it comes to this in comparison to Australia?

Maybe they are, maybe they're not - but I say again, are you sure you're prepared to take that chance, knowing the consequences?

How are they supposed to check anyway? I won't be using my Irish account over there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

It really doesnt matter. The fact that they are more lax doesnt mean they dont do it. I echo what has been said above. I wasnt checked and Ive not heard of anyone who has has been checked (Same in Oz)

How can they check?
    I suppose they could ask for a print out of a bank acount balance containing the required funds or ask to see your personal bank account. If you say no, they may just refuse you entry.

I wouldnt worry to much about it but dont think its a certainty they wont check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And what happens if your brother gets evicted and your job-offer falls through (eg the boss doesn't like you or somesuch).

Seriously, you're talking about travelling 1/2 way around the world, you cannot run home to mammy if things go wrong. As an adult, you need to have enough of a buffer to look after yourself. Going anywhere without it is foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Hi

They didn't check me at the airport but there's no harm having a back up plan (that works) if they do.

It's easy to find work here, the money is not great, but it's better than doing nothing.

You can get lots of stuff here on financing like electronics, vehicles etc. if you have a job.

I was only here 3 months and I was given financing towards a vehicle by AA and I also got a bank overdraft.

Back to your original question, I spent a week in SE Asia on my journey here and spent a couple of hundred euro while I was there. So technically speaking, my bank account statement did not reflect what was really in my account. So technically, you could arrive there and have it on paper you have x amount in your bank account but you may not actually have x amount in your account!

William F wrote: »
    Hi

They didn't check me at the airport but there's no harm having a back up plan (that works) if they do.

It's easy to find work here, the money is not great, but it's better than doing nothing.

You can get lots of stuff here on financing like electronics, vehicles etc. if you have a job.

I was only here 3 months and I was given financing towards a vehicle by AA and I also got a bank overdraft.

Back to your original question, I spent a week in SE Asia on my journey here and spent a couple of hundred euro while I was there. So technically speaking, my bank account statement did not reflect what was really in my account. So technically, you could arrive there and have it on paper you have x amount in your bank account but you may not actually have x amount in your account!

How much are ya supposed to have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

How much are ya supposed to have?

Around 4200 dollars

Advertisement