Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

100bhp on book. Red DI passat 04. Confused

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,205 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd go with what is on the log book. It's easy and cheap to stick badges with red letters on the boot claiming otherwise. You should know the difference from driving examples of both too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 joefish1

Awx is 5 speed 130bhp .. if the shell and engine are genuine you should be able to tell by

1. Driving it

2. There is a white sticker of tech spec on front page of service schedule and a similar sticker at the spare wheel well that should say 96kw ... The 96kw is the conversion of 130bhp

Hope this helps ... Be careful with passats I looked at three of that vintage which were all clocked before I found an honest one

• Registered Users Posts: 73,446 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Red DI on that year passat means 100bhp too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ya have 02 Bora red DI is 100BHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 paulh18

when i type reg into car parts websites, it is coming up as 130bhp. from driving i know it is more than 100bhp but that doesnt confirm if its meant to be

• Advertisement

Is the car a uk import?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Ya have 02 Bora red DI is 100BHP

Red DI was never on a 100bhp bora from factory. Someone stuck it on sometime. Red DI was either 115 or 130 bhp

sean1141 wrote: »
    Red DI was never on a 100bhp bora from factory. Someone stuck it on sometime. Red DI was either 115 or 130 bhp

Strange as I have had this car from new.:rolleyes:

MK 4 golf and Boras started with silver DI been 90bhp and then red I was 110bhp.

Either in 01 or early 02 they brought out red DI which was 100BHP. Two friends of mine bought boras in 02 and they were I assure you 100bhp as is mine. I bought mine for 23k straight price in April 02 and it's a great car.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is the car a uk import?

it is an import yes

It wouldn't be unreasonable to say the logbook is wrong then. There are a number of reasons why this would happen.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It wouldn't be unreasonable to say the logbook is wrong then. There are a number of reasons why this would happen.

It definately has more power than a 100bhp so this must be it. Thanks for advice

MK 4 golf and Boras started with silver DI been 90bhp and then red I was 110bhp.

yes this is correct. then they launched the pd engine in 2001. this was 115 bhp and was red DI. this was then put back to red I when they phased out the older ve engines (90 & 110 bhp) and launched the 130 bhp.
    it's easy know the 130 in the golf/bora as they were all 6 speed. although the 115 bhp could be got in 6 speed too.

I would never mind badges on any VW as dealers had a habit of changing them. just like the mk4 Gt tdi. vw never made one but there are loads of them going around!

yes this is correct. then they launched the pd engine in 2001. this was 115 bhp and was red DI. this was then put back to red I when they phased out the older ve engines (90 & 110 bhp) and launched the 130 bhp.
    it's easy know the 130 in the golf/bora as they were all 6 speed. although the 115 bhp could be got in 6 speed too.

I would never mind badges on any VW as dealers had a habit of changing them. just like the mk4 Gt tdi. vw never made one but there are loads of them going around!

Why would they do that? It makes no sense, all three cars were bought from different dealers, mine was bought from a reputable independent vw dealer in the Carlow/Kildare area.

Why does Parkers list the GT TDI?
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/volkswagen/golf/hatchback-1997/

colm_mcm wrote:
    Why does Parkers list the GT TDI?

show me a data sticker from VW with Gt tdi on it!! closest I have seen is gti tdi and they were badged gti

they are listing the high line as Gt tdi. also they don't have the 130 in se or comfort line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

paulh18 wrote: »
    It definately has more power than a 100bhp so this must be it. Thanks for advice

there can be a couple of reasons why it has more than 100hp if it was 100hp.
    Remap or superchip.
    Diesel engines can free out.it comes out of the factory at 100hp and over time the engine frees out and gains power. Car mechanics magazine in july 2009 got at 115hp gttdi golf and were looking to chip it. it was never chipped or remapped. they put it on a dyno beforehand and it was giving out around 140hp.

Advertisement