Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing a rental property - does this look good?

Options
  • 29-01-2015 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

I'm currently trying to rent a place, and thought I would share what I intend to put in my 'application pack'. My plan is to attend the viewings, try to ask a couple of questions(mainly about the broadband provision), and pass an A4 envelope with the below in it. Or if possible and the person hosting the viewing engages, maybe talk about paying extra deposit, etc. I'm hoping that when the agent/LL then comes to review applications after the viewing, mine would stand out.

If you are landlord or agent, would you like to recieve something like this? Or am I coming off as trying too hard? If you are currently renting, would you have prepared something like this to secure a place you really liked?
    To whom it may concern,

My name is <name> and I am a <my job> in full time, permanent employment with a stable company. I am <age> years of age, I have a degree in <x> from <y university>, and have been working in <field> since I graduated in 2011.

I am very keen to secure this property, and I intend to be an excellent tenant. I am a non-smoker, I am very much not a ‘party person’, I do not have or want pets, and I am financially stable with a mature outlook. Please find attached several documents that I hope will show you both how serious I am about this property opportunity, and prove to you that I am well poised to an mature and hassle-free tenant:

-A written reference from my employer
    -A recent payslip showing my ability to cover rent
    --Note also I am already have a yearly Taxsaver Dublin Bus ticket for commuting to and from work
    -Records from my bank showing:
    --that I have consistently paid a rental amount to my parents while living there.
    --that I have consistently responsibly saved a large amount of my income.
    -A copy of my CV.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for more information if needed, and looking forward to hearing from you!

Many thanks,

--

<my name>
    <my email address(work)>
    <my phone number>

And then of course, I have all those documents attached. The bank records show me transferring 400 a month to my mother for rent, and 1000 a month to a savings account.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

MrMorooka wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to rent a place, and thought I would share what I intend to put in my 'application pack'. My plan is to attend the viewings, try to ask a couple of questions(mainly about the broadband provision), and pass an A4 envelope with the below in it. Or if possible and the person hosting the viewing engages, maybe talk about paying extra deposit, etc. I'm hoping that when the agent/LL then comes to review applications after the viewing, mine would stand out.

If you are landlord or agent, would you like to recieve something like this? Or am I coming off as trying too hard? If you are currently renting, would you have prepared something like this to secure a place you really liked?

And then of course, I have all those documents attached. The bank records show me transferring 400 a month to my mother for rent, and 1000 a month to a savings account.

Fair play to you for being proactive and organised. You sound like an ideal tenant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'm not sure why you mention the Taxsaver ticket but everything else looks OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I'm not sure why you mention the Taxsaver ticket but everything else looks OK.

To show I am prepared for living in the area I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Your preparation is nothing short of amazing BUT if I was considering you as a tenant (which I would) I would question (in an almost jokey way) whether all that organisation includes having a solicitor on retainer to deal with any renting issues. Your LL might like someone easy-going as well as reliable. I might dial down the perfection just a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You would definitely stand out but as Rasmus pointed out a more "relaxed" Landlord may view this as someone who has the potential to be awkward. If my agent forwarded me on something like that I think I would let them know straight away not to bother with any more viewings this is our guy! I think its brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'd nearly offer you a discount to get you.
    Although I would look for further information from you, maybe what you had for breakfast that morning or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I found tenants for a relative's property a number of years ago. A couple came armed with info similar to yours - references, bank account details, proof of savings & work references. They clearly stood out to me & they have been model tenants ever since. Good luck with the search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

MrMorooka wrote: »

Yes this is a good idea, I am a LL and the girl that lives in my apt since Jan 2013 did exactly this and I thought it was a great idea. I did have another girl view it who was a doctor and I like her too but she could only rent for 6 months because of her rotation and I was looking for a longer lease. I am sure you would get the apartment if you handed something like this in.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Thanks all for the positive comments, but in the end it apparently didn't help at all. Property went to someone else. Sigh.

Advertisement