Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights?

Options
  • 29-01-2015 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what course of action people think I should take in this situation. (Sorry for the long post).

I was bought a present of two shirts for Christmas, by my parents. Both shirts had to be bought at a specialty shop, due to the size of collar I take (22"!). I had previously bought shirts in this shop with no problems.

As part of the service, if the shirts are too large in certain parts (arms, torso, etc) they bring you down to an alteration company, the doors down. This alteration company is separate from the short shop. The seamstress there pinned up my short to what seemed like the correct dimensions, and i then left out with them to have the work done. Parents paid the short shop, and I assume they pay the alteration place.

I left it a couple of weeks before picking up the shirts, due to being ill, etc. Went in last Saturday, and picked them up from the shirt company. I said to the salesman that I thought that the shirt and seemed very short. They did ask me if I wanted to try them on, but due to being in a rush to get to an appointment, and previously having dealt with them, I said that I would trust them.

Went to try the shirts on this morning before work. One if the shirts is about 5" too short in the arms, and the other is about 2" too short. Neither are wearable, and the 5" short looks like it has shrunk (or had never been washed, and only taken out of the bag this morning).

Obviously, I would like to take them back, and either get a refund. My question, however, is whether my contract is with the shirt company or the alterations company for the fault.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, and sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

alteration company...why would it be the shirt company/shops fault? They sold you the shirts and advised you where you could go to get alterations, if I get you correct?

If you paid alteration shop for alterations its deffo with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

if the alterations company were paid directly it is them you have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you paid the money to the shirt shop, then they are the responsible party and should deal with their subcontractor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Assuming it sa decent compnay as you say, they will more than likely, just get th correct alteration done and you'll have perfect shirts within a few days.

Unlike mass produced shirts, bespke shirts like this can have new arms added etc quite easily.

I doubt if a refund is the way to go as the only issue is an alteration went wrong and it is extremely easy to fix.

In teerms of who you go to, its the shirt compnay as the alteration was a service provided by them, even if it was outsourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

The shirt company are a retail company who sell a wide varied of shirt labels. I might go find a bespoke shirt manufacturer in Dublin at a later date.

I didn't pay the alterations company any money, it was all done through the shirt company.

As to the ability to fix the issue, I don't think it is feasible as the arms are too short. As they are mass produced, I doubt they could easily fix the issue.

From what I can gather, I should just go to the shirt retailer and ask them for either a refund or a new shirt plus the alterations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree, but usually there is a works ticket attached to the item detailing what's to be done, ie LT -5" etc.

Is there any paperwork supplied with the shirts?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I agree, but usually there is a works ticket attached to the item detailing what's to be done, ie LT -5" etc.

Is there any paperwork supplied with the shirts?

I went down with the salesman, and the seamstress pinned the shirt. This was fine. However the work seems to have been done wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

At least you have a witness who saw it being pinned.

Advertisement