Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling house

Options
  • 28-01-2015 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

We are selling our house, we have a small stove non back boiler free standing just a flue going up the chimney, are we entitled to take this with us? Or is it considered part of the contents? Also what about a small wooden garden shed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Take them both away before you put it on the market. Although, a stoveless pipe sticking out of the wall may devalue the house a lot more than the stove is worth. If its a €2000 stove, consider replacing it with a cheapo one off Done Steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

Sorry I wasn't clear. The house is sold. Contracts signed!

Also no flue pipe, it goes straight up the chimney.

We were thinking we could just put a grate in and leave as it was originally a open Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Poor form to take it now, unless it is stated in contract that stove is not included.
    OK, it's free standing, (insert stove?) but you would really be stretching the distinction between "fixed" and "non fixed". What's a second hand insert stove worth? 450 to 550 Euro Max.? Is it worth the hassle?

Most garden sheds, if more than 5 or 6 years old, would fall apart if you tried to move them.

Walk away, get a nice new stove for your new home, my opinion.

Actually, if contracts are signed, would you be technically stealing the stove and shed? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I would consider a stove a fixture and fitting, and as a buyer would expect it to be left. was it included in the details of sale/brochure eg 'living room with wood burning stove'? Same with garden shed, I have never heard of these being taken by the vendor.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

Unless specified in contracts that'd be considered bad form by most. If it is 'sold' the contracts are signed by both and keys due to be handed over? If not there may be time to negotiate it, new owners might not want it, either way, let them know your plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

How can your house be sold if you are still in there considering what to take? Do you mean sale agreed? In any case, like mentioned above, it is bad form to take something that was implied as part of the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

as far as i remember when i moved in the sellers had brought the bulbs LOL... tight gits

OP . leave the stove and buy yourself a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I presume the stove would have added value to the house, therefore it should remain and if were the buyer i'd insist on it. When we bought our house we made sure to get those things listed in he contract. You might get away with it but i'd say it's a fairly tight arse move if you take it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

We are buying a house at the min, the main selling point from the estate agent was the stove and the heat it generates etc. when contracts issued all contents included with the exception of the Stove! We rang the estate agent and his response was very blunt like it or lump it there would be no negotiation on the purchase price and that he wasn't getting into hear say about him using it as the main selling point, and sure there not expensive anyway to buy is what he said!!

We weren't that bothered about it but it was more the issue that it was used as the main selling point!

OP if its not in the contract you can take it but i also think its bad form if it was used as a selling point!

Advertisement