Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I progress from 20 lengths?

Options
  • 28-01-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I originally wanted to be able to swim casually with ease in pool and maybe open water during the summer. I'm now there in the pool. What should I do next?

I spent the last 2 months getting up to a non-stop 20 lengths of the pool at front crawl.

Where should I go from here, 40 lengths or something different? stroke, speed ?

I'm looking for a goal for the next 2 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Well done on your achievement . How long does it take you to do 20 lengths? Have you considered getting a video done on your stroke? No harm in trying to push yourself to 30 lengths,but we all can swim lengths after lengths badly, the main thing is to do it properly and with correct technique as it might lead to shoulder injuries a few years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

This is a good challenge

http://www.swimforamile.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭n1st

I'm glad I asked.

Thanks for responding.

Video is a good idea, my technique is bound to be off.

swimforamile have a programme too swimforamile.com/programmes/8-week-programme/week-1-8-week-programme/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 willow46

Well done n1st. Just my opinion but i used to coach swimming for many a year, technique would be my focus from now. And the video option too as above. Looking at how long each length takes and how many strokes per length? Then work on distance. Google some video's of Phelps swimming and watch how effortless it looks. Its all about technique first then endurance etc later…

• Registered Users Posts: 8 darthschracker

take a look at speedos swim app. Its cool, has videos of how to improve stroke and cool little goals (or big ones). Im currently on the channel swim goal and 25,550m in haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭n1st

Irishtimes are joining the 1 mile swim with a 12 week training programme irishtimes.com/life-and-style/get-swimming

Advertisement