Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Atheist Google Hangouts, anyone?

Options
  • 28-01-2015 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    While I was in work today, I had a thought. How about we start up a show, done through Google Hangouts? I'd imagine it being done once a week (I can't imagine myself doing a show more often than that).
    So what would we talk about? I'd imagine it'd be news topics or other areas of interest. Would 30 mins to an hour sound all right?
    Anyone interested? If so, what are your thoughts, got any ideas on how to get things started?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Eh, nice idea but I, for one, am out. I loath skype and I assume this is a similar face to face online thang? Not for me, but I'd meet ye all for a pint/coffee any time (West of Ireland) if you're about this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Shrap wrote: »
    Eh, nice idea but I, for one, am out. I loath skype and I assume this is a similar face to face online thang? Not for me, but I'd meet ye all for a pint/coffee any time (West of Ireland) if you're about this way.

I wouldn't do face to face. Just avatars, sorta similar to the Honey Badgers (look them up). No need to give your real name, just your online handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sorry, what is this 'real' you speak of? You mean there's something other than online!:eek:

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    I wouldn't do face to face. Just avatars, sorta similar to the Honey Badgers (look them up). No need to give your real name, just your online handle.

Never done a google hangout. Opted out of google+ too :o Facebook was annoying enough, couldn't see the point in another style of social media (apart from this one). Sorry, very boring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Shrap wrote: »
    Never done a google hangout. Opted out of google+ too :o Facebook was annoying enough, couldn't see the point in another style of social media (apart from this one). Sorry, very boring!

No-one's saying you'd have to use Google Hangouts or G+ outside of this show. I completely understand - I don't use G+ myself beyond keeping track of comment threads I've been on on Youtube. What I would propose is that anyone on the show just make a new gmail account, specifically for the show. That way, they don't risk their current accounts (if any) in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nah. Google are evil.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nah. Google are evil.

Yeah, FriendFace all the way for me;

I was thinking about this earlier, and it's not an altogether awful idea OP, but the main reason I'm out is that I'm not an expert in any field and am therefore not that interesting. I would rather listen to people who are already doing this and who have some knowledge that broadens the mind -otherwise it's like we're all hanging out for the chat but some of us (me) have not all that much expertise to draw on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03j9lvb#auto As an example of something topical to atheists and religious alike, I find this kind of discussion fascinating and even better, I get most of it and have ideas on it.

"This week, Brian Cox and Robin Ince attempt to walk through the doors of perception. On the way, they'll encounter the nature of consciousness, the secret messages hidden in pop songs, the problem of objectivity (it's subjective) and how time appears to warp. This week's guests are psychologist and presenter of Radio 4's All in the Mind, Claudia Hammond, Neuroscientist Beau Lotto and the writer Alan Moore. Producer: Rami Tzabar." 30 mins

A very brief overview of a very interesting discussion, but tbh, I'd be more into chatting about what these guys have posited and theorised about than to start from nothing.....

Advertisement