Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canary Islands

Options
  • 28-01-2015 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just back from a week in Puerto Del Carmen, Lanzarote and although I can't complain about the weather or price of food & drink, I was a bit put off by the cheap tattoos and bellies on both the men and women.

Can anyone recommend somewhere a bit classier for March within the Canary Islands but still within the same price bracket?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Did you check out Puerto Calero or Playa Blanca on the Island? We stayed in Matagorda(closer to the airport) and it was quiet and nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭eoinsie74

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Did you check out Puerto Calero or Playa Blanca on the Island? We stayed in Matagorda(closer to the airport) and it was quiet and nice.

Thanks for the reply.
    When you say quiet do you mean dead, or is there a bit of atmosphere still ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

eoinsie74 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    When you say quiet do you mean dead, or is there a bit of atmosphere still ?

It depends. I went in June to Matagorda and stayed in the Costa Sal. We went to puerto del carmen 4 out of 10 night and went into the square in Matagorda 5 of the other 6. Its a little quiet, not dead quiet but Id be more into Puerto del Carmen. There is a small atmosphere in the irish bar in that square, live music sometimes and Mrs Browns boy played on the tv everytime there isnt music.

Its a little winder in Matagorda, but compared to Playa Blanca its very calm. March isnt the windy season either. The planes taking off and landing do make a slight noise, but its not too bad (No-one ever woke up due to it) and their are rarely departures after 11pm.
    If you are into plane watching, its a dream place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Anyone recommend a good spot to go to in the Canary Islands, with a baby, in February/March time?

Somewhere not too full of young people on beer holidays, but also having a decent selection of restaurants and nice beaches.

I've been before but uit was more than 10 years ago, so can't even remember which island was which.

Thanks for any tips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Anyone recommend a good spot to go to in the Canary Islands, with a baby, in February/March time?

Somewhere not too full of young people on beer holidays, but also having a decent selection of restaurants and nice beaches.

I've been before but uit was more than 10 years ago, so can't even remember which island was which.

Thanks for any tips!

Ah come how- how can you not remember which island you visited? :P:P

I think Fuertaventura or Lanzarote are great for quiet breaks. But saying that February/ March isn't really the time of year for the mad party set on any of the islands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

I go to fuengirola when I have my teenage daughter with me.
    The marina is lovely to eat and have drinks.
    Although everywhere you go you will see the typical holiday
    " let the beer belly be shown " people, I found this not overload.
    I stay at the sunset beach hotel, A bit more expensive, but you can get great deals. It has a gate to the beach, very private, and lovely people and staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Ah come how- how can you not remember which island you visited? :P:P

I think Fuertaventura or Lanzarote are great for quiet breaks. But saying that February/ March isn't really the time of year for the mad party set on any of the islands.

thank you sir, I'll look into Lanzarote and Fuertaventura

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

thank you sir, I'll look into Lanzarote and Fuertaventura

We've been to both, Puerto del Carmen & Matagorda in Lanzarote & Corralejo in Fuerteventura, both have nice beaches & decent restaurants, we felt that Corralejo had the better of both, Corralejo is a lot smaller than Puerto del Carmen, 15 years ago there was pretty much nothing there but it now has a nice harbour area, one main strip, probably a little shabby compared to PDC in places especially on the outskirts but don't let that put you off

The Grande Playas Just outside Corralejo are fantastic beaches that stretch for miles BUT except for a stretch between the two RUI hotels they are clothing optional as are most of the beaches in Fuerteventura so a lot of nudity is normal there, if that's an issue for you, stick to Lanzarote, if it's not an issue you can enjoy probably the best beaches in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Gran Canaria is always our favourite. Masplamoas/Melonaras area - lovely hotels and restaurants and a gorgeous beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When you go to the Canaries in the off-season like Feb/Mar, you're going to be there with a lot of older tourists so the beer bellies and tattoos tend to be more noticeable because there's far less younger people about. If the place was crawling with handsome young lads and pretty girls in summer dresses, you probably wouldn't notice a single beer belly!

• Advertisement
Advertisement