Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good websites for honing Logical Skills??

Options
  • 28-01-2015 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, Im currently in the second semester of a software development conversion course (H.Dip). First semester went reasonably well, Im happy with how things are shaping out (despite never having done anything remotely like this before!!)

However, my weakest point is Java. Im fine with the theory and can explain in lay mans terms what needs to be done when posed with a problem but i am slow at getting the code out.

I am getting there and realise its a long process that takes plenty of practice, currently Java is taking up the greatest percentage of my study time as I feel its the most important aspect of the course, but the workload on this course is huge, and I dont want to be devoting too much time to Java at the expense of other subjects.

With that in mind I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good
    sites for practising logical skills, as I feel i really need to improve on these, my previous course of study im guessing used a different part of my brain and i need to kick the logical side into action a little more!!

That being said have found the threads on here pretty informative, on all aspects of development and would like to say thanks to everyone for their input!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

RINO87 wrote: »
    Hi folks, Im currently in the second semester of a software development conversion course (H.Dip). First semester went reasonably well, Im happy with how things are shaping out (despite never having done anything remotely like this before!!)

However, my weakest point is Java. Im fine with the theory and can explain in lay mans terms what needs to be done when posed with a problem but i am slow at getting the code out.

I am getting there and realise its a long process that takes plenty of practice, currently Java is taking up the greatest percentage of my study time as I feel its the most important aspect of the course, but the workload on this course is huge, and I dont want to be devoting too much time to Java at the expense of other subjects.

With that in mind I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good
    sites for practising logical skills, as I feel i really need to improve on these, my previous course of study im guessing used a different part of my brain and i need to kick the logical side into action a little more!!

That being said have found the threads on here pretty informative, on all aspects of development and would like to say thanks to everyone for their input!!
    Codeeval and Project Euler are two of my favorites.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

TutorialsPoint has a good resource for Design Patterns in Java. Design patterns provide proven solutions to common problems encountered developing software.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ChoiChoi

I would say just keep working on the java thats been assigned for you to do. There's no point going off doing tangential exercises if you're already stuck for time, as you work on them you will improve. There isn't really a magic website or resource thats going to teach you programming/logic any better than your course content (assuming it is challenging and taught to a good standard). The logic side of things is half a way of thinking and half just experience with solving problems, and a lot of it becomes second nature after a while but it does take time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Heads First Java is good, might get a link online, if not ask your lecturers they'll be able to get you a copy for free

Advertisement