Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread in the Radio forum.

Options
  • 28-01-2015 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Can we have a Newstalk Megathread back in the Radio forum please? There are not enough posts in most Newstalk Radio show's threads to keep them regularly on the front pages of the forum and there is now no place to discuss general newstalk stuff that don't merit a thread of there own.

The was no reason given for closing the old thread and I don't think it was a very popular decision.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

I second the motion.:)
    Dont know why the old thread was closed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

foxtrot101, did you discuss this with bbability who closed the original thread before coming here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Weird behaviour by the Mod in question - not every item requires a fresh thread does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Dades wrote: »
    foxtrot101, did you discuss this with bbability who closed the original thread before coming here?

No. Maybe I should of, but it didn't occur to me at the time.

Weird behaviour by the Mod in question - not every item requires a fresh thread does it?
    A quick scan of the forum suggests that almost every thread relates to an individual show/DJ, so not so weird I don't think.

• Advertisement

A quick scan of the forum suggests that almost every thread relates to an individual show/DJ, so not so weird I don't think.

The Pat Kenny thread is the only Newstalk related thread that would have enough posts per day to stay on the first page. A couple of other threads would be there periodically.

The Newstalk Megathread was one of the most posted on threads in the Radio Forum. It was a catch-all thread where you could post on Newstalk related topics that didn't fit in the individual show threads and/or didn't merit starting a new thread.

The megathread had been going for years and it was working out fine. So yeah, closing it down without any explanation was strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Used to post in it but left it because every single post was either complaining about minute details or making bitter comments about presenters.
    Maybe this is why it was closed.

kneemos wrote: »
    Used to post in it but left it because every single post was either complaining about minute details or making bitter comments about presenters.

No more so than any other thread in the Radio forum. If you follow that logic you'd have to close the whole forum down.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    No more so than any other thread in the Radio forum. If you follow that logic you'd have to close the whole forum down.

Think I started a thread here complaining about it quite a while ago.
    At the time the Mod was in agreement that the Forum needed cleaning up and was eager to acquire more Mods to help with the process.
    Must be nearly a year ago now and haven't been back to the Forum since so don't really know if anything has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think it should be brought back.

• Advertisement

Any clue as to why it closed?

Any clue as to why it closed?

Admin's are all over this place when it suits them I notice.
    Not a word when it doesn't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Admin's are all over this place when it suits them I notice.
    Not a word when it doesn't.

Did you pm a mod to ask? It's not really a question for the admins, they didn't close it.

Did you pm a mod to ask? It's not really a question for the admins, they didn't close it.

No.

No.
    Let me get this straight... neither you or the OP contacted the mod in question... and you personally haven't been in the forum in over a year.

I think you know where I'm going with this.

Let me get this straight... neither you or the OP contacted the mod in question... and you personally haven't been in the forum in over a year.

I think you know where I'm going with this.

Not really.

Did PM him yesterday though,no response as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

It was closed as we are trying to steer away from one thread for all type threads. It's easier for users and mods to discuss topics on the forum. It's nothing to do with the amount of posts but in general if there is a thread about a particular show it is easier to discuss and find on the forum. Also it's easier to moderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

bbability wrote: »
    It was closed as we are trying to steer away from one thread for all type threads. It's easier for users and mods to discuss topics on the forum. It's nothing to do with the amount of posts but in general if there is a thread about a particular show it is easier to discuss and find on the forum. Also it's easier to moderate.

But do you acknowledge the sharp reduction in Newstalk related post since it was closed?

It served as a useful 'commentary' type thread where we could post small snippets that wouldn't really warrant a full new thread.

I would like to see it re-open. I can't see how it is harder to mod than any other thread.

salonfire wrote: »
    But do you acknowledge the sharp reduction in Newstalk related post since it was closed?

It served as a useful 'commentary' type thread where we could post small snippets that wouldn't really warrant a full new thread.

I would like to see it re-open. I can't see how it is harder to mod than any other thread.

A single thread is much more user friendly compared to multiple threads I'd have thought.Not like it was massively busy .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'd like to see it brought back. Thought it was a good thread. Easier to have a conversation on that than across several threads, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

It's not coming back. I have explained the reason why. Mega threads are not the way forward with discussions on Boards. It's easier to moderate a single topic rather than watch one thread for ten topics.

Folks can you please close this thread as I have responded to the question.

bbability wrote: »
    It's not coming back. I have explained the reason why. Mega threads are not the way forward with discussions on Boards. It's easier to moderate a single topic rather than watch one thread for ten topics.

Folks can you please close this thread as I have responded to the question.

What a ridiculous attitude. The people who actually use the forum want it to to remain. You are not even prepared to discuss it. Nobody but you agrees with your reasons for closing it and those reasons are bogus. Ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Have to agree I must say. Nothing worse than a high handed mod.

I look forward to the threads on random Newstalk observations, like why there is two minutes in Irish language at high speed just before the 10 am news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Actually, I agree.

Mega threads are bad for Boards in every way possible. They are *TERRIBLY* off-putting to anyone except the people who are actively involved in them. They create an almost impenetrable barrier to new people wanting to join in on a conversation, so I don't know where the rest of you are getting this idea that they're "more friendly" or anything of the sort. When they're really busy, they cause issues with the web servers and the database servers because VBulletin doesn't handle big chunks of data particularly well.

So, one single super-mega thread for an entire station instead of on a show-by-show basis which would be the norm is making the issue a lot worse.

Dav wrote: »
    Actually, I agree.

Mega threads are bad for Boards in every way possible. They are *TERRIBLY* off-putting to anyone except the people who are actively involved in them. They create an almost impenetrable barrier to new people wanting to join in on a conversation

None of this applies to the thread in question and no one is asking for a one thread for an entire station. It was a place to discuss Newstalk in general, topics that don't merit a thread on their own and didn't fit in the individual Nerwstalk show threads. Very few of those individual show threads would have enough posts per day to stay on the front page anyway.

"Megathread" is a bit misleading. A "General Newstalk thread" would be more apt. What people are asking for is a general thread to run along side the individual show threads. The old thread would have had a most 5 to 10 posts a day. Hardly enough to trouble your database severs. Plus it wasn't in any way cliquey or off putting to new users.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Genuine question: how is moderating several threads easier than moderating one? Would've thought it'd be the other way round. In fact, I thought that was how we ended up with a megathread?

Just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    None of this applies to the thread in question and no one is asking for a one thread for an entire station. It was a place to discuss Newstalk in general, topics that don't merit a thread on their own and didn't fit in the individual Nerwstalk show threads. Very few of those individual show threads would have enough posts per day to stay on the front page anyway.

"Megathread" is a bit misleading. A "General Newstalk thread" would be more apt. What people are asking for is a general thread to run along side the individual show threads. The old thread would have had a most 5 to 10 posts a day. Hardly enough to trouble your database severs. Plus it wasn't in any way cliquey or off putting to new users.

Surely theres no harm in a general Newstalk thread..? It was not that busy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Genuine question: how is moderating several threads easier than moderating one? Would've thought it'd be the other way round. In fact, I thought that was how we ended up with a megathread?

Just asking.

Easier to pick out a troublesome exchange between two users in a small thread than in a giant one. You have to filter out less posts that aren't relevant to the moderation.

Easier to pick out a troublesome exchange between two users in a small thread than in a giant one. You have to filter out less posts that aren't relevant to the moderation.

This thread was only big because of how long it had been going. There wouldn't be enough posts in the thread per day to necessitate any filtering out. As I said, the name "Megathread" is misleading in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I can't see the logic to this at all.

It was a thread which was functioning perfectly well. A few posts every now and then, and relatively good natured (compared to most threads in the Radio Forum). The Liveline thread alone must have had at least 50 times more posts every day than the Newstalk thread. So I fail to see how monitoring it was a serious burden to Moderators.

Anyone who thinks this decision was a good idea should have a read of the thread. And look at how little has been posted about Newstalk since it was closed.

An experiment which hasn't worked.

Advertisement