Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold / landlord problem

Options
  • 28-01-2015 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Heya all,

So we have a large black mould problem in our 4th floor apartment, mainly in our two bedroom windows. Initially, our landlord came over after over a week, filled in the windowframe with some caulking, and went. Its worse than ever at the minute, I messaged him on jan 7th asking could he do something about it, and Sunday past, he dropped us over cleaning supplies and a dehumidifier and told us to fix it. Advice? He is quite slow to fix things on the whole. Do we have a case for non payment of rent? Terms for termination? we would like to move out if we had somewhere else to go but that may not be an option at the mo.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You can't legally withhold the rent ,

Open your windows for around 2 hours a day to let fresh air circulate ,
    Use the dehumidifier the landlord gave you and use your heating a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Any ideas?

Get this. Works very well. Make sure you open all the windows at the time though.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/hg-mould-spray-500ml/15988/3.11.5#.VMj4ZGisU-w

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Mezcita wrote: »
    Get this. Works very well. Make sure you open all the windows at the time though.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/hg-mould-spray-500ml/15988/3.11.5#.VMj4ZGisU-w

Dettol mould and mildew spray works well only takes 5 minutes and a damp cloth or sponge ,

distilled vinegar works very well too and no harmful fumes

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Same issue, mould all over my main bedroom window. I left my windows open from 9am - 1pm daily for air-circulation.

I reported issue to landlord on the 8th of December, following a visit he determined I was the cause of the mould. It seems I breath too heavily in my sleep, creating too much moisture in the room.. his recommendation was that I leave doors open between rooms to allow air to circulate even better.

Following this I wrote an official letter, prompting a repeat visit! This time he said it was the extraction fan... grand.. he replaced that and said he'd fix the mould after.

Due to Christmas and New Years I figured things might be delayed, eventually I rang up again to enquire. This time he said the letting agent would resolve the issue... I contacted the letting agency in-between this and they deny all responsibility over the property!

Fortunately, during this I gave my notice and broke contact to leave the flat. However, I still have a months rent paid on it and keys... and now I'm trying to resolve the issue so another tenant could move in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Mould issues come up so often they could really be stickied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

beauf wrote: »
    Mould issues come up so often they could really be stickied.

And more often than not, their due to living conditions as opposed to any building issue

Advertisement