Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it possible to move from a Level 7 to a Level 8 in one more year of study?

• 28-01-2015 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have an ordinary level 7 Diploma from UCD since 2013 and am working in my chosen field since then, but have suffered an occupational injury which means I cannot continue to work in my current role as it involves too much manual labor which I am unable to do any more.

I would really like to travel abroad for work but need to retrain in something (educationally speaking ) first. I have noticed that in order to gain access to any decent line of work abroad, weather that be the States, Canada, the Middle East or Asia, you really need a level 8 ordinary Bachelors Degree at a minimum otherwise any income you would be looking at is far below par.

So the long and short of it, is that I`m wondering if it is possible to move up to a Level 8 qualification with just one more year of academic study or would I have to start a Bachelors Degree from the very beginning?

Also, I see the term "Graduate" being mentioned a lot. I presume this means Bachelor`s Degree Graduate? I couldn't consider myself a Graduate after finishing a Level 7 could I? Id imagine not.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes you can but you'd have to research the colleges/uni's and courses that offer add on 4th year (level 8) Honours Degree courses.

Generally the IT's do the add on but there might be restrictions such as you need to have 3rd year done or near completion that the courses is recognised by the course/college you intend to go to. It be a bit like a transfer?

You may need to contact the IT's and Uni's that offer the courses you liked to do. They ask for results from your last course but usually its for similar courses you did?

There are level 8 courses you could do if you wanted to do something else, that be different from your level 7 course. You would do a hdip or a postgrad dip or a springboard course that's a level 8. You might be restricted getting into a hdip/postgrad dip without a level 8 degree completed.

Research your options. Might be a suggestion to contact the careers officer or admissions officer in UCD they might be able to help you as to what you could do if you wished to go back to UCD or go to another college.

You are technically a graduate, I know a few that only had a level 7 done and managed to get into a level 8 springboard part time night course! They came from a different back ground and did a different course. In ucc if you've arts done whether its a level 7 or 8 I'm not sure but they were able to go into a postgrad/Masters.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Thanks a million for that. I had no idea up until now that I may be eligible for a hDip or postgrad Dip. I thought I was completely restricted to a direct progression application into a degree programme with the hope of just studying the final year. This open's up many more doors to me. I had a look at some of the university websites this evening and it seems my Level 7 ordinary degree does qualify me for application to some postgrad courses.

Much appreciated.

Advertisement