Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a Room: How to word eviction letter

Options
  • 28-01-2015 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi all, I am going to evict the licensee renting a room in my house. My reason being that I want my own space back. There have been a few small issues that I have highlighted over the 12 month period but these are not the reason for the eviction.

There were no ground rules written up when the licensee moved in but verbally I made it clear a couple of times that I would give one month's notice at the very least. Now that the time has come I am giving 2 months.

How should I write up the letter? I want it to be somewhat formal but I don't want it to come across as "you are being evicted - please vacate by the __/__/__"). I will also explain the situation verbally first.

What should the wording be like?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

There's no need to give it in writing. Just explain to the lodger that you are looking to have the house back to yourself and you're giving them twice the amount of notice you promised. In fact there's no mandatory notice period for licencees.

Also worth bearing in mind that if they start playing silly buggers by not paying rent during the notice period, you can just ask them to leave immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

There's no need to give it in writing. Just explain to the lodger that you are looking to have the house back to yourself and you're giving them twice the amount of notice you promised. In fact there's no mandatory notice period for licencees.

Also worth bearing in mind that if they start playing silly buggers by not paying rent during the notice period, you can just ask them to leave immediately.

Thanks. I'll talk to them about it and then write a quick email.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I wouldn't put anything in writing tbh. There's no need, so why restrict yourself? Lodger may become unpleasant to live with after being given the news (though most people will be fine) and you may want them to leave sooner ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

murphaph wrote: »
    I wouldn't put anything in writing tbh. There's no need, so why restrict yourself? Lodger may become unpleasant to live with after being given the news (though most people will be fine) and you may want them to leave sooner ;-)

Good point, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

TBH it think putting it in writing would be quite impersonal considering you have lived with them for a while. Although if they were a tenant in an apartment you rent to them, I would 100% put it in letter and email form(cant deny they never got it).

Just tell them, you want your space back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement