Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Account

Options
  • 28-01-2015 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello,

I'm interested in becoming a chartered accountant.

I have a degree in engineering so I assume I won't get any exemptions. I was just looking for a breakdown of how many exams are involved. It's not explained very clearly on their website.

I understand the whole training requirement but if someone could explain what is involved in CAP 1, CAP 2 and FAE that would be great.

Am I correct in saying that there is 4 exams in CAP 1 and 4 in CAP 2. You have to pass all attempts in one sitting? If you fail one subject do you have to repeat all 4? I can't make out at all what is involved in the FAE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 accountant787

Anyone????

The thread title was meant to be Chartered Accountancy. I'm not able to amend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Hello,

I'm interested in becoming a chartered accountant.

I have a degree in engineering so I assume I won't get any exemptions. I was just looking for a breakdown of how many exams are involved. It's not explained very clearly on their website.

I understand the whole training requirement but if someone could explain what is involved in CAP 1, CAP 2 and FAE that would be great.

Am I correct in saying that there is 4 exams in CAP 1 and 4 in CAP 2. You have to pass all attempts in one sitting? If you fail one subject do you have to repeat all 4? I can't make out at all what is involved in the FAE.

CAP one has 4 subjects.
    one of the subjects is split into 2 - so 5 exams.

If you fail one exam, you repeat just that exam ( 1 repeat sitting per year), it is not dependant on the others.

CAP 2 also has 4 subjects - 4 exams. You can sit these in 2 ways:
    All 4 together or 2 int he first year and 2 the following year.

Like CAP 1 you only repeat the ones you fail ( 1 repeat sitting per year).

When you have passed all 4 you move onto FAE.

FAE is broken into two: Core and Elective.
    Both are separate whereby you can pass one and fail the other.

No repeat sitting in FAE, you must join in next years class!

Thanks for the info. It's a great help.

Could you maybe explain what is involved in Core?

I understand that for the elective you pick either tax, audit or performance management.

Thanks for the info. It's a great help.

Could you maybe explain what is involved in Core?

I understand that for the elective you pick either tax, audit or performance management.

Core is just an amalgamation of all subjects - Financial/Management Accounting, Tax, Audit, Marketing, Change Management, Information management Principles, HR etc.
    The exam is split up over two days and will incorporate all/most of the above.

The result is very straightforward - pass or fail!

Thanks for all that info, I appreciate it.

Could I just clear a few things up.

CAP 1 - 4 Subjects (5 exams)

CAP 2 - 4 Subjects (4 exams)

FAE

Core (2 exams)
    Elective (1 exam)

If you fail Core or Elective you have to repeat both again the following year?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all that info, I appreciate it.

Could I just clear a few things up.

CAP 1 - 4 Subjects (5 exams)

CAP 2 - 4 Subjects (4 exams)

FAE

Core (2 exams)
    Elective (1 exam)

If you fail Core or Elective you have to repeat both again the following year?

In FAE, Core and Elective are independent of each other!
    If you pass either, you never have to sit that one again.

So if you fail Core and pass Elective, you only have to sit Core the following year.

And just so you know, Core covers about 7/8 times the info that the Elective will cover.

Thanks a million. You've been a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Also you can choose to sit less than the full amount of exams in one sitting, although if youre in a training contract they would probably expect you to take them all. So for example you could do 2 cap 1 subjects this year and 2 next year. This is handy if you're studying via the flexible route and currently working in another profession

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gav4321

I am considering studying to become an Accountant at night time and over the weekends.

I have a degree in accounting and finance (second class honours) and have all of my available exemptions.

Judging by my research, I think the chartered accounting Ireland route might suit me best.

Can anyone advise on the workload and how manageable it is with a full time job (in finance, not directly related to accounting).

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 13 Verified rep Chartered Accountants Ireland: Careers Team

Hi, if you have questions about Chartered Accountancy and how the programme works, I'd be delighted to help. Just send me a PM. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement