Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1829 Freeholders Tipperary

Options
  • 28-01-2015 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Having just found my ancestors on a "list of persons who have served their intention to register their freeholds at Tipperary Special Sessions, 12 June 1829, arranged Baronially and in the numerical order in which they will be called".
    On Griffiths Records, my ancestors were leaseholders. How did they get on that list? Being freeholders, were they entitled to vote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

According to this PRONI article, a freeholder could still be leasing land and there were certain valuations involved too.

The Tipperary Griffith's records were completed in 1851 and that gives 22 years for their leasing ability to change, a very long time.

If they did "regress" from being a freeholder to a leaseholder (I don't know if that was even possible, someone better informed can tell us), then two possibilities stand out for me. Firstly, the Tithe War in the 1830s was centered on Tipperary and Kilkenny, so maybe your ancestors were involved and somehow lost out. Secondly, the Famine. Inability to pay rent, death, emigration, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks Coolnabacky.

I have since checked other names on the list and they also appear on Griffiths. Even though, I found references to him making subscriptions to various nationalist funds, I haven't found anything to suggest that he was involved in any agrarian wars.

Advertisement