Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadlift (video) form question

Options
  • 28-01-2015 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

Reading about the deadlift I regularly come across the idea of being very explosive and ripping the bar off the floor which makes perfect sense. The advice usually comes with caveat that the pull shouldn't be jerky or jumpy off the floor (not using back as a whip) which again makes sense.

I'm trying to focus on this explosiveness from the deck at the minute to get deadlift up past the 260kg mark as my standard miss in a heavy deadlift is running out of momentum just above the knee. Looking for some feedback as to whether my pull from the floor is too whippy and perhaps an injury risk or if it's normal/safe.

This video has a triple at 205kg and a single at 230kg. Watch in particular the final rep of the triple and the single as they're the strongest examples of what I'm talking about.

You'll have to delete the space after the .com and thanks for any feedback in advance :)

instagram.com /p/yVRRr2I3mm/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

You deadlift with a rounded upper back which is why you are having trouble uncoiling it towards the top of the lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You're not helped on that treble by the fact that you didn't pull the slack out of the bar before the lift, especially before the last rep, so you lose tightness and shape making it harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

You're not helped on that treble by the fact that you didn't pull the slack out of the bar before the lift, especially before the last rep, so you lose tightness and shape making it harder.

Yeah that's the problem I see when I watch it too. I'm just struggling to be as explosive if I pull the slack out of the bar and get tight compared to when I stay somewhat loose at the bottom. Pretty sure learning to set my lats properly would go along way to fixing the problem so that's where I'll put my focus for the next while.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

dor843088 wrote: »
    You deadlift with a rounded upper back which is why you are having trouble uncoiling it towards the top of the lift.

Agreed, need to work on the role my lats play in the lift, they're not really engaged at all at the bottom at the minute.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah that's the problem I see when I watch it too. I'm just struggling to be as explosive if I pull the slack out of the bar and get tight compared to when I stay somewhat loose at the bottom. Pretty sure learning to set my lats properly would go along way to fixing the problem so that's where I'll put my focus for the next while.

Thank you!

If you pull yourself into position with the bar you'll take the slack out of the bar and generate greater tension, including in your lats and when you 'explode' up you'll be pulling the weight straight off the bat.

There's a slight jerk in the movement if you pull before the bar has taken the plates up and that will usually have a negative impact on the tightness you do have. Take a little longer between the reps to make sure your set up is tighter and work on keeping the tightness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You are very loose at the set up for the single.
    It's like you are setting up unloaded and trying to slam through the bar to get it started. I think this may be down to your interpretation of "explosive".
    I'm just struggling to be as explosive if I pull the slack out of the bar

Don't think of explosive in terms of speed. A single approaching max effort is never going to be fast. Maybe even forget about explosive and think of it like a coiled spring.
    Get everything into position under tension, and when you unload this tension it all transfers directly into the bar.

Advertisement