Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No soap in bathrooms

Options
  • 28-01-2015 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Right, so in my school many of the bathrooms are without soap dispensers and I'm wondering what the laws are for this? They put up a notice that if any dispensers were broken they wouldn't replace them which, of course, encouraged some thick lad to break them. Try to avoid them toilets as much as possible but teachers get p****d if you don't go to the nearest toilet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

One should always carry a bar of soap on them for just such an emergency!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Piss on your hands. Desperate times and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

catallus wrote: »
    One should always carry a bar of soap on them for just such an emergency!

Wouldn't want to be dropping it though...

Aspiring wrote: »
    Piss on your hands. Desperate times and all that.

What I suspect 90% of people do in public toilets anyway, the smell of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Do you use the hand driers provided?

• Advertisement

Luke92 wrote: »
    Do you use the hand driers provided?

Thankfully have tissue dispensers, but they are empty by the time lunch is over...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Carry a small bottle of hand gel in with you it can be bought anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

lulu1 wrote: »
    Carry a small bottle of hand gel in with you it can be bought anywhere

Yeah probably the best way to stay germ free and clean. A small handy bottle should cost 1 or 2 euro.

I hate seeing people using hand driers :( it hurts to know they have just defeated the purpose of washing their hands!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sadly in Ireland, we cannot have nice things (even something as not really that nice as soap) because of our preponderance of 'thick lads' (and lasses) who wreck them.

Most school student toilets are horrible. Teachers know this.

Perhaps you could get your student council to bring it up, though I know the 'thick lad smash things up brigade' don't tend to be on the student council, so they would probably just carry on, even if you got the toilets improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

It amazes me what joy they get out of ripping these things apart should it be in schools or public places. It's a sad world when a person should it be a boy or girl cant behave like normal human beings and leave well enough alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

If you are really worried about it, you can buy these tiny bottles of anti-bacterial serum (think the stuff in the dispensers in a hospital) in boots for €1.50, they are great I used them often when my daughter was first born to make sure she wasn't exposed to any bacteria that might be on my hands. I also find soap dries out my hands and the serum is very moisturising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

spurious wrote: »
    Sadly in Ireland, we cannot have nice things (even something as not really that nice as soap) because of our preponderance of 'thick lads' (and lasses) who wreck them.

Most school student toilets are horrible. Teachers know this.

Perhaps you could get your student council to bring it up, though I know the 'thick lad smash things up brigade' don't tend to be on the student council, so they would probably just carry on, even if you got the toilets improved.

Same issue in my school.

Student Council fully acknowledges the matter(thanks to complaints from the school minority), and the problem is properly communicated to the school authority. "Vandal proof" soap dispensers are being put in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

The problem is, the second school authorities bring up the issue at assembly, the same people will double their efforts at vandalising.

Our principal made the mistake of complaining in assembly about a scuff mark on the corridor. Literally half an hour later the corridor was black with scuff marks.

Some people are just evil. And might I add, these same people are socioeconomically "well-off". Scumbags exist in all walks of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Same issue in my school.

Student Council fully acknowledges the matter(thanks to complaints from the school minority), and the problem is properly communicated to the school authority. "Vandal proof" soap dispensers are being put in soon.

Now there's a challenge for the 'thick lads' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Believe me people behaving like wild animals in bathrooms continues into college. I wonder what goes through the mind of someone who deliberately goes into a cubicle, defecates and urinates all over the floor and wall. These people aren't even inebriated because you see it in the college building toilets which are locked at 9pm.

Not having soap in a public bathrooms is a disgrace. Get a parent to bring the issue to the principal, he'll see sense eventually.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Believe me people behaving like wild animals in bathrooms continues into college.

I was in trinity last week and was thinking myself what person who was intelligent enough to get into trinity feels the need to scratch their name into a mirror?

I'm just going to avoid the toilets without it and have made it known to the student council. How people behave in bathrooms will always baffle me...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    While I agree in general, it really isn't just Ireland. While every school (in Ireland or elsewhere) doesn't suffer from the problem, or suffer to the same extent, it is pretty endemic, particularly in larger schools. Often the bigger the school, the less sense of ownership among students.
    dee_mc wrote: »
    Now there's a challenge for the 'thick lads' :rolleyes:
    Yep, I have yet to encounter "vandal-proof" soap dispensers or any such item ... at best, "more effort required to vandalise" is the best you will get.
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Not having soap in a public bathrooms is a disgrace. Get a parent to bring the issue to the principal, he'll see sense eventually.
    Thing is, s/he has seen sense, given up on her ideals of providing such luxuries (:rolleyes:) as soap, and faced up to reality.
    I'm just going to avoid the toilets without it and have made it known to the student council. How people behave in bathrooms will always baffle me...
    How some people behave will always baffle me.

But yes, public bathrooms can be a prime example.

As someone said above, those little plastic bottles of hand sanitisers are your friend, very easy to slip in a pocket, can be a tad expensive if you're buying regularly, but really you just need one and a decent-sized bottle at home to refill it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

there's hardly soap, toilet paper and let just say female products in my school lately
    one minute they're there and the next... gone
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I recently had to go traipsing across three of the school's bathrooms in order to find a toilet that actually had toilet paper. It's ridiculous. As well as that, over half of the locks on the cubicles are broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

It's just the Irish mentality really .. One person ruins something for everyone .

Wait until you get to college op. I don't know is it that these people don't get to college or if they just grow up . Either way it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    It's just the Irish mentality really .. One person ruins something for everyone .

Wait until you get to college op. I don't know is it that these people don't get to college or if they just grow up . Either way it improves.

Not necessarily. In Maynooth, the SU put free soap, deodorant etc. in the bathrooms and somebody stole it all on the first day. They then had to put up a poster saying 'be sound and share'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's unfortunate but that's the way it is in most schools and it won't really change until people stop ruining it for everyone else. They'd need some budget to keep up with the vandalism and replace everything.

We had one bathroom with 6 cubicles in a school of 400-450. Only two of them could be flushed and one of the 6 had a working lock. I think it had two working taps. Oh, and the one cubicle that did have a lock and flush was beside the taps and some prick would always try and splash whoever is inside. No tissue, no soap. Oh and the smell..ugh.

Last year, in a feedback form, a student described them as "the worst toilets in Europe".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Two years ago people unscrewed and took the cubicle doors as a prank. Funny when you look back on it , at the expense of the care taker who put them back on !

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mpd97

Its horrible. A GIRL in my school wrote YOLO on the bathroom wall with her own ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Mpd97 wrote: »
    Its horrible. A GIRL in my school wrote YOLO on the bathroom wall with her own ****!
    Um....

?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Somehow, I suspect this thread will only be become a magnet for both real horror stories and urban myths at this point ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement