Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing for New Years

Options
  • 27-01-2015 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a place for around New Years skiing, doesn't have to be mad (party) and has decent good value and food. And has a decent chance of good snow at this time? Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Well no surprises here, but I am absolutely in love with Soll for New Years- it's my absolute favourite time of year! There's a double celebration, informal fireworks & general partying on New Years eve, and then a candlelit procession down the mountain by the ski instructors on the evening of New Years day, with a huge organised fireworks display, and gluhwein & hot chocolate and candles for everyone. The whole village smells of Weirauch (special Frankincense burned in cauldrons) during the entire Christmas/New Years season, and it's just a generally laid back and chilled out vibe. It's the busiest time though, so no matter where you go, it's never too early to book (ie NOW!)

Here's some photos of this year's celebration. Wherever you end up going, enjoy!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

fannymagee wrote: »
    Well no surprises here, but I am absolutely in love with Soll for New Years- it's my absolute favourite time of year! There's a double celebration, informal fireworks & general partying on New Years eve, and then a candlelit procession down the mountain by the ski instructors on the evening of New Years day, with a huge organised fireworks display, and gluhwein & hot chocolate and candles for everyone. The whole village smells of Weirauch (special Frankincense burned in cauldrons) during the entire Christmas/New Years season, and it's just a generally laid back and chilled out vibe. It's the busiest time though, so no matter where you go, it's never too early to book (ie NOW!)

Here's some photos of this year's celebration. Wherever you end up going, enjoy!! :-)

Thanks for info, looks fab. Can i ask where you booked it? Or did you book it seperately/independently? If so any recommendations for accommodation etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

My OH is from here, so I spend half my life here lol- no hotels required! ;-)

If you pop over to the Soll thread there's loads of info in the first post. Best bet for New Years would be to email the tourist board now, and they'll send you back a list of available accommodation & prices. Once you get that booked, you can book your flights once they become available. Or have a look on the Directski website if you'd rather a package.

Do a little looking around different resorts etc, but get your name on some accommodation as soon as you can. A lot of new years accom is booked up years in advance by regulars, but once you go once you'll prob become a regular too!! It's a fantastic time to go :-)

Advertisement