Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substandard Electrical Cable

Options
  • 27-01-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I recently got some Twin and Earth Cables and some NYM cables from a local well known wholesaler. On checking them out, it turns out they are substandard - the cores are not within the acceptable threshold the the outer sheath is thin and poor quality. Can you advise who I could contact to report this issue?

is there a standards authority who look into these problems? NSAI and the likes only seem to test - they don't take action on substandard products.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Go back to the supplier. Did you state what standard you needed and what it was for? Did you look at what you were buying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 briocass

Yes Sraeem - I'm actually involved in this area. I know exactly what I wanted and I know exactly what I want the cable to do. The problem is the cable does not conform to standards. it will do what it is suppose to do, but it is a hazard as the standards are there for a reason. Someone is trying to save a few pence here and has reduced the Copper content and used a poor quality PVC sheath.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Go back to the supplier - it's possible that they do not know about this, and you should give them a chance to rectify.

Did you buy this cable in a professional or personal capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 briocass

Professional capacity

The crowd who actually sold it would not be to blame here - it is the importer who sells it to the wholesaler. I have already encountered this problem and said it to another wholesaler. The importer is still selling this and it is substandard. Not very fair to the people installing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK - I'm moving this thread as Consumer Issues no longer applies as you bought it in a professional capacity.

Moving to the Electrical forum as someone there may be able to point in the right direction. I would if a body like RECI could give advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

briocass wrote: »
    Yes Sraeem - I'm actually involved in this area. I know exactly what I wanted and I know exactly what I want the cable to do. The problem is the cable does not conform to standards. it will do what it is suppose to do, but it is a hazard as the standards are there for a reason. Someone is trying to save a few pence here and has reduced the Copper content and used a poor quality PVC sheath.

If you are sure there is a definite hazard I would report it to the Health and Safety Authority. If the product purchased is not as described you have recourse to th e courts.

Advertisement