Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupational Therapy, Trinity - Will I be able for it?

Options
  • 27-01-2015 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I know this is a question only I can really answer but I'd welcome others input.

Basically I am a 23 year old, after an almost 4 year hiatus from school/college. In that time I struggled a lot with some mental health issues and a lack of motivation and kind of got into the habit of not seeing things through, not being able to stick at a job, a course etc.

I have insecurities for that reason that I will not succeed if I do this course. My other concerns are that because I've been out of practise with academia and the fact that I only got 325 points in my LC that I would struggle with the work. Majority of students there will be very astute having come from LC and needing at least 500 points to be accepted so I am slightly concerned I will be a fish out of water in terms of the social aspect.

That aside I think the course suits my personality well and its a career that I could be good at. The fact is time is ticking on and I'd rather not just settle and do something easy like makeup artistry or culinary arts - I want to be challenged but with what is against me I am afraid it won't work out.

In terms of what I'm doing to tackle these insecurities, I will be starting a therapy for my particular MH issue which looks promising and will consider medication.

I am particularly interested in hearing from anyone who knows about the course and can offer advice! Or from anyone who has found themselves in a similar situation, words of wisdom would be very much appreciated!

Thank you :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Siobhan6

College is what you make it. Trinity has a habit of making people feel like they're below standard because everyone is really smart, but it's not true. I was surprised when I came to college at how easy the transition was from school, and I did A levels and not leaving cert so it would have been even stranger for me than for others. On top of that, I had to pay for my degree by myself so I had to work a LOT, and I'm still sitting on a II.I. It's not that i'm madly intelligent, I just decided that's where I wanted to be so I put in the work to make sure I achieved it.

In terms of your mental health, I had issues with it before I came to college as well. I'm not trying to compare mine to yours, but I found that coming to college actually helped me massively because it gave me something to focus my thoughts on. If I were you I wouldn't settle for second best just because it's the easier option - too many people in life do that, but maybe that's just me.

I don't know specifically about your course, but I do know that for me, college helped motivate me because the deadlines made me work really hard because I didn't want to disappoint myself. I was dead scared too before I came here, but in the end it did me a whole lot of good!

Hope that helps =)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Siobhan6 wrote: »
    College is what you make it. Trinity has a habit of making people feel like they're below standard because everyone is really smart, but it's not true. I was surprised when I came to college at how easy the transition was from school, and I did A levels and not leaving cert so it would have been even stranger for me than for others. On top of that, I had to pay for my degree by myself so I had to work a LOT, and I'm still sitting on a II.I. It's not that i'm madly intelligent, I just decided that's where I wanted to be so I put in the work to make sure I achieved it.

In terms of your mental health, I had issues with it before I came to college as well. I'm not trying to compare mine to yours, but I found that coming to college actually helped me massively because it gave me something to focus my thoughts on. If I were you I wouldn't settle for second best just because it's the easier option - too many people in life do that, but maybe that's just me.

I don't know specifically about your course, but I do know that for me, college helped motivate me because the deadlines made me work really hard because I didn't want to disappoint myself. I was dead scared too before I came here, but in the end it did me a whole lot of good!

Hope that helps =)
    Thanks for that siobhan its really encouraging to hear someone do well in coll who's struggled with mental health esp at trinity! I didn't get into trinity but secured an interview for my top choice at dcu in the end which - if I get - would be much better & less pressure I think! But still a huge challenge! Left trinity at no.2. I'd read your reply at the time but never got the chance to wb between broken laptop + moving house but it was really helpful!

Advertisement