Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Given different Item to advertised by Electronics shop

Options
  • 26-01-2015 9:45pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently I bought a laptop from a well known electronics shop. I stupidly did it because of the fact I needed a machine desperately and didn't have chance to wait for deliver from online.

The machine was advertised as an IPS screen, but when I got home the machine clearly has a TN screen (and a very poor one at that)which means the machine is useless for what I need it for.

I was thinking about buying a different laptop from the same store, that was 100 euro cheaper, but paid for this one because of the fact that it had an IPS screen, was portable (ASUS Transformer)

Now the store are refusing to take the machine back, and state since I opened the package to test the machine it cannot be returned. They claim that the spec if it has changed at all is only minor and cannot be proven therefore I am not entitled to a refund or replacement.

It also came with a 3 cell battery rather than the one that was actually advertised (6 cell). The company claimed that this was never advertised in store, therefore they are not breaking any rules.

This is outrageous, but does anyone have any experience what I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have you the advertisement? If so you should have no problem returning it as not the item advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Where did you see the specs; online or in store? As srameen says if the goods were not as described there should be no issue with them taking the machine back. Is there any way you can prove the specs are different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

When you say "advertised" are you talking about online, newspaper, in store? Or are you talking about what is on the packaging? If the computer is not as advertised on the packaging, you should be on solid ground but if you bought something without checking the spec on the packaging, the ads/price were an invite to treat, you should have checked the actual spec before buying.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

This is the machine:
    http://www.pcworld.ie/product/asus-transformer-book-flip-tp300-133-2-in-1-aluminium/318243/104.12

This is what I got (a cheaper variant of the same model)
    http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/231156/asus-transformer-book-flip-tp300la-dw007h#tab:specificaties

Note that the specs there confirm that it's a TN screen in this variation of the TP300la, rather than the IPS one that the PC World website claimed. PC World claim that they cannot verify third party sites and that my screen may well be IPS. (It isn't, the viewing angles are typical of a low end TN screen).

Also the box that the machine came in says that a three cell battery is included, but again the PC World advert claims that there is a six cell battery included. Again this is incorrect as proven by the label on the box. But PC World again argue that the three cell part on the box doesn't specifically mention battery.

PC World claim that as I did not buy online, I cannot use the online spec as proof that I have been mis-sold as they did not make these claims in store, even though it was the same model.

Because of the poor screen and battery life, it's impossible to use the machine as a hybrid tablet and desktop. The battery is only half as good, and the screen is impossible to use unless you are looking at it straight on and at no angle at all. If I got the machine they advertised none of these problems would exist.

devnull wrote: »

PC World claim that as I did not buy online, I cannot use the online spec as proof that I have been mis-sold as they did not make these claims in store, even though it was the same model.

Sorry OP but that would seem to be correct. If you ordered online, you would be entitled to the spec that you ordered but you picked up a different computer in the shop, presumably the packaging had the spec on it and you were able to read it before purchasing. I think this is a case if you not checking that the machine you picked up in store had the same spec as the one you saw online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

How much did you pay for the laptop in store?

The spec of the screen and the batteries were not mentioned on the in store display.

They told me that they only stocked one machine of that type and online will be the same as the stores.

It is the same price and everything else matched. I was told it was the same machine and I spoke to them on the phone and they also said they only have one model of that laptop and the one online is the same as the one in stores.

Same price, 659.99

The spec of the screen and the batteries were not mentioned on the in store display.

So there was no false advertising? OP I understand your frustration but what they say would seem to be correct, you had the opportunity to check the spec on the packaging before you bought it. Often online offers are a way of shifting stock, but the item may not be in stock at a particular store. You went in and bought an item off the shelf, it is fair to assume that you should have checked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

They are right in the sense they can't use third party sites for comparison. Did you not check the display model before buying? Have you talked to a manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

So the company website advertised a laptop but the model in store is a cheaper model, the company states they only stock one type which is the cheaper model, then this is clearly a <SNIP> where they have shown you a better spec dearer model but supply the inferior product,

They say they can't verify a third party website but on their own website they have this collect and reserve option.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/content/order-online-and-collect-in-store/1481
    Order online & collect in store

If you’ve found a product you love online but want to collect from store, Order & Collect is for you.

If your local store has the item in stock, you can reserve it online for collection in store.

Your item will be available for collection within one hour of reservation and will be held until the end of the following day.

This shows us that the stock of the online store is linked with the actual shop stock.

Small Claims Court might be your only option, Have you written to the shop manager detailing the issue and what you require as a remedy?

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    So there was no false advertising? OP I understand your frustration but what they say would seem to be correct, you had the opportunity to check the spec on the packaging before you bought it.

The spec of the packaging does not state the type of screen, only the size of it. I was never given a chance to check the spec on the packaging at all,

I asked if it was the same one as on the net and they said it was.
    Often online offers are a way of shifting stock, but the item may not be in stock at a particular store. You went in and bought an item off the shelf..

PC World have told me that the stock is the same as the online stock and they only sell one model of that particular laptop, be it in store and online. There is only one model I was told of that machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

It is pretty clear the item was not as described, so you are fully entitled to a refund. It's their own website you are referring to, which, as Foggy pointed out, has a Click and Collect option & a stock checker, which indicates the website is directly connected to the stores also, regarding price, spec etc. The website is not a separate entity in this case. If you have not already done so, screenshot all the product pages on the website for your laptop, clearly showing the wrong specs that your product was advertised as having. Bring these in with you when you next visit the store.

Currys/PC World, in my own experience, have pretty dire customer care, so if talking it out with the manager gets you nowhere, SCC may be your only option.

Best of luck.

EDIT: Product code: 102645, Long Model Number TP300LA - Check if this matches up with your receipt.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    So the company website advertised a laptop but the model in store is a cheaper model, the company states they only stock one type which is the cheaper model, then this is clearly a <SNIP> where they have shown you a better spec dearer model but supply the inferior product,

They say they can't verify a third party website but on their own website they have this collect and reserve option.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/content/order-online-and-collect-in-store/1481

This shows us that the stock of the online store is linked with the actual shop stock.

Small Claims Court might be your only option, Have you written to the shop manager detailing the issue and what you require as a remedy?

You've missed the main point of your whole post, OP did not read the spec and then order that computer which was advertised FOR SALE ONLINE, instead the OP walked in and bought one off the shelf. We can only presume that the OP had time to check the spec before purchasing.

You've missed the main point of your whole post, OP did not read the spec and then order that computer which was advertised FOR SALE ONLINE, instead the OP walked in and bought one off the shelf. We can only presume that the OP had time to check the spec before purchasing.

The machine was the same one as on the website. My Receipt states the model number, as well as the PC World Product code.

Model No: TP300LA
    Product Code 000102645

If you look at the PC World website:
    http://www.pcworld.ie/product/asus-transformer-book-flip-tp300-133-2-in-1-aluminium/318243/104.12

at the top it states:
    Product code: 102645

And in the specification it states:
    Long Model Number: TP300LA

Exactly the same as on my receipt.

But, he had queried with a member of staff if it was the same model as advertised online before purchase.

The machine was the same one as on the website. My Receipt states the model number, as well as the PC World Product code.

Model No: TP300LA
    Product Code 000102645

If you look at the PC World website:

at the top it states:
    Product code: 102645

And in the specification it states:
    Long Model Number: TP300LA

Exactly the same as on my receipt.

OK, that's great - they have most definitely sold you the incorrect product, and your item is therefore 'not as described' - model numbers & even the store product codes match up perfectly.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    But, he had queried with a member of staff if it was the same model as advertised online before purchase.

Whilst I cannot prove that conversation actually happened, even though it did, the product number on my receipt is the same as that on the website which backs up that it is the same product.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    OK, that's great - they have most definitely sold you the incorrect product, and your item is therefore 'not as described' - model numbers & even the store product codes match up perfectly.

Also the side of the box has a big 102645 number stuck to it.

Also the side of the box has a big 102645 number stuck to it.

Go into the store one more time and chat to a manager, and have all your printouts, box & receipt to back up your points.

If you get nowhere with that visit, file an application with the Small Claims Court, and don't waste any more your own time talking in-store again with a manager or staff member that just doesn't care.

Their websites are as follows;
    http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/50A0FEDF19079201802574050061745F?opendocument&l=en
    http://www.csol.ie

Problem is the people in the stores don't seem to know much about the technology, and if it isn't written there in black and white for them, they dispute that it's a different model since it's not stated on the box it has a different type of screen.

But to anyone who knows anything about laptop screens, would tell you that it certainly has a different type of screen as to what is advertised, IPS are far superior quality and can be viewed from any angle

See here for a comparison:
    TN: http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_black1_3fc68f6634.jpg
    IPS:http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_Flip_Tp300L_image_angles_c4c4326f60.jpg

The battery thing is more easy, since on the label on the box it says it has a 3 cell (although it does not state battery specifically!) when it should have 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well they advertised a TP300lA and thats what they are selling. There are a 3 differnt processor models and 2 different screen models. The online add does not specify the variant. So on that they didnt do wrong.

http://www.asus.com/uk/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_Transformer_Book_Flip_TP300LA/specifications/

HOWEVER, the question is would an ordinary reasonable member of the public know that there were many variations of the same root model name...IMHO no they wouldnt. So I would speak to the manager and explain this.

Unfortunately if theres no dice you would have to take some sort of legal route..which may or may not be worth it...

although they did specify that their variant has an IPS screen and a six cell battery, when it has neither.

In any case, this may be resolved later, we shall see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

Just a quick one .. are you sure that there is actually different variants of the TP300LA machine, from what I can find there is only one model (three processor options) ... the ASUS site only lists the IPS display as the standard with no mention of any other type.

It is a 3rd party website that you are getting the TN mention from.

On the machine there should be a full ASUS product number .. Usually six number and letters hyphen six numbers and letters (X2GH81-YT44HM or the like) .. this is where you should start when looking for the correct spec.

TP300LA DW007H is the model that PC World are stocking. On that third party site the specs are correct, the box even specifys that there is a 3 cell battery into and t

From what I gather this model is only sold by a select number of retail stores, and is not widely avaliable.

With all due respect I know the difference between TN and IPS Screens, an IPS screen doesn't invert picture awfully just because you tiilt it a small number of degrees.

whippet wrote: »
    Just a quick one .. are you sure that there is actually different variants of the TP300LA machine, from what I can find there is only one model (three processor options) ... the ASUS site only lists the IPS display as the standard with no mention of any other type.

It is a 3rd party website that you are getting the TN mention from.

On the machine there should be a full ASUS product number .. Usually six number and letters hyphen six numbers and letters (X2GH81-YT44HM or the like) .. this is where you should start when looking for the correct spec.

from Asus website http://www.asus.com/uk/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_Transformer_Book_Flip_TP300LA/specifications/
    Display
    13.3" 16:9 HD (1366x768) / IPS FHD (1920x1080) LED Backlight Glare panel

i'm pretty sure that ASUS only make that Notebook with an IPS display.

@devnull apart from the 3rd party website where else have you confirmed that the machine has a TN display?

i'm pretty sure that ASUS only make that Notebook with an IPS display.

@devnull apart from the 3rd party website where else have you confirmed that the machine has a TN display?

Nope...see above my last postt :D

Nope...see above my last postt :D

I assume your confirming my suspicion that the OP has an IPS display, got what he paid for, found something on a 3rd party website that was incorrect .. decided that he was an expert in screen technology and could tell the difference and actually he can't?

I've confirmed it with the part number, by looking at the hardware ID in Device Manager, and the part number comes back as a TN display from a chinese company I cannot remember.

You don't have to believe me that it is a TN Display, but if you saw it you'd know straight away. I didn't expect Asus to make it with one either, and when I could barely find any trace of the DW007H anywhere I was a little suspicious as to why that was.

• Advertisement

I assume your confirming my suspicion that the OP has an IPS display, got what he paid for, found something on a 3rd party website that was incorrect .. decided that he was an expert in screen technology and could tell the difference and actually he can't?

erm..no

confirming they offer a 13.3in screen with either a
    16:9 HD (1366x768) OR an IPS FHD (1920x1080)
    LED Backlight Glare panel

2 diff models

Advertisement