Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodger problem

Options
  • 26-01-2015 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I hope some of you can give me a bit of advice on what to do with this situation.
    Last year I decided to take in a lodger to help with the rent. He worked shift (3 weeks on and 3 weeks off) and he would always go home to the UK for his 3 weeks off which suited me grand.
    He paid me in full in December and the next day he vanished. Packed up and went back to the UK taking his house key with him and didn’t say a word (to me or his employer). As it was mid-way through his shift too so I thought it odd.
    At the time I thought it might be personal matter so didn’t pry or indeed that he just wanted to be home for Christmas. I was certain he would be back.
    So not a word from him until yesterday…..He texted twice to ask for money back out of what he paid as he “only stayed 10 days”.
    This is a complete joke and it took a lot of effort to refrain from texting same to him.
    Any advice, suggestions folks? Is he entitled to a “refund” considering I have kept his room for him all this time, he only informed me yesterday he wasn’t coming back and more importantly that he still has a key.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

As he is a lodger he or you have no rights. Not a landlord tenant so no law to fall back on. As he didn't give you any notice I wouldn't give second thought to giving him any money back. Ignore, forget him and move on - get someone else in. Change lock too just in case.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

As he is a lodger he or you have no rights. Not a landlord tenant so no law to fall back on. As he didn't give you any notice I wouldn't give second thought to giving him any money back. Ignore, forget him and move on - get someone else in. Change lock too just in case.....

Slightly incorrect,
    as a lodger he has no rights
    the rest, I agree with.

Absolutely
    Get the lock changed, even a cheap replacement in the meantime, dont even reply to the person, if you have intention which Id say dont, at least wait until you have changed the locks in case they are about, they might turn nasty if you explain yourself and at least they cannot gain entry while away.
    Cheap lock, €11 so their key doesnt work, a better one will not be much dearer.
    If its a euro cylinder, its only one screw and very easy to replace, look it up on youtube.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You kept the room for him as you assumed he was coming back, as per your agreement.

He has no argument for why you should give him the money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

and if you had a deposit and I hope you did get one,keep it, if not dont concern yourself, just change that lock.
    Its too late to be getting informed by them about it all now and cover the cost of any loss from re advertising and having to replace a lock in such a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

MissesMoon wrote: »
    I hope some of you can give me a bit of advice on what to do with this situation.
    Last year I decided to take in a lodger to help with the rent. He worked shift (3 weeks on and 3 weeks off) and he would always go home to the UK for his 3 weeks off which suited me grand.
    He paid me in full in December and the next day he vanished. Packed up and went back to the UK taking his house key with him and didn’t say a word (to me or his employer). As it was mid-way through his shift too so I thought it odd.
    At the time I thought it might be personal matter so didn’t pry or indeed that he just wanted to be home for Christmas. I was certain he would be back.
    So not a word from him until yesterday…..He texted twice to ask for money back out of what he paid as he “only stayed 10 days”.
    This is a complete joke and it took a lot of effort to refrain from texting same to him.
    Any advice, suggestions folks? Is he entitled to a “refund” considering I have kept his room for him all this time, he only informed me yesterday he wasn’t coming back and more importantly that he still has a key.
    If he didn't say anything your reply text should read

" thanks for the text, I will know advertise the room to let, can you please transfer the money you owe for the 26 days in jan that you had the room"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

ted1 wrote: »
    If he didn't say anything your reply text should read

" thanks for the text, I will know advertise the room to let, can you please transfer the money you owe for the 26 days in jan that you had the room"

Absolutely do this! Except maybe say now instead of know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MissesMoon

Thanks so much folks for all the good advice. I'll drop him a text as suggested by Ted1 and athtrasna as it might stop the "are you avoiding my texts" Im getting now.... I will definately not be entertaining any silly text sagas with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Agree with all of the above - if anything, he owes you money - just curious though, how do you know he hadn't said anything to his employer about leaving?

How much of a deposit did he give you? And had you any written agreement about minimum notice periods?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MissesMoon

I know his boss and he was asking if I knew where he was.

Advertisement