Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how are you raising your kids in relation to religion?

Options
  • 26-01-2015 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭

Luckily junior can do an ethics class in his school instead of catholic religion so not a huge issue, he learns about religions in school which is fine by me.
    At home we explain that its all made up. Last weekend I randomly showed him some comic routines Rickie gervais , lewis black etc and he found them hilarious (son is 10).
    Planning now to find good rebuttals some funny some serious to events in the bible like Noah etc. Seems like a good way to introduce science and history topics.
    So what are ye doing or planning ng to do?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a moot question for me, i've slaughtered my children in tribute to cthulu.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

In my kid's school, we organize a science-day every year - coke + mentos, things that go "Bang!" etc.

Much more fun than being bored rigid in a church!

Haven't sacrificed a squealing baby to Cthulu yet, but we might try it this year as some of snowflake's class are doing communion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

How about Shebuba?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Its all about getting the right balance. Life of Brian, a dash of Robotology, and a few headless monks seems to work in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Cosmos, cbbc (loads of scifi/fantasy shows), myths and legends books, David Attenborough, daleks and Picard. Good clean fun, only fun gods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I bought The magic of Reality by Dawkins for when my kids are older, it's our 'special book' at the moment because they're still too young to read it and understand it properly. That book introduces many many different myths and religious beliefs that try to explain natural pheonomon, and then it explains how the world really works.

We don't really talk about religion at all, my kids love nature documentaries and my 5 year old already understands evolution and natural selection better than half the people on the christianity forum

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Thanks Ill get that book , it looks interesting. We have just got through the Cosmos series which makes good family viewing

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I didn't raise my son "in relation to religion". Why would I?

We're atheists, so raising our fella "in relation to religion" didn't come into the equation.

We also didn't raise him to attack people for their faith; that's because there are enough sectarian and fundamentalist wingnuts out there without him joining their ranks.

I don't know for sure that he will avoid being a wingnut, though so far it looks as if he will. He seems to be a pretty solid atheist, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Akrasia wrote: »
    I bought The magic of Reality by Dawkins for when my kids are older, it's our 'special book' at the moment because they're still too young to read it and understand it properly. That book introduces many many different myths and religious beliefs that try to explain natural pheonomon, and then it explains how the world really works.
    Is God Is Not Great on the bookshelf? When it comes to religion, for me Hitchens is the foremost authority. He immersed himself in the dirty stuff. He revelled in it.

Advertisement