Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitored Home Alarm

Options
  • 26-01-2015 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a monitored home alarm but confused over which is the best option for my 2 bed mid-terraced house. My only landline is with UPC which means i'll be going wireless over a GSM network. One company offers anti-jamming technology for an additional €200. The installer says it isnt strictly necessary?? I was looking at phone watch but havent heard great things about them

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Open Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Hi OP, all you have to do with regard to Phonewatch is look at a few threads here, people like yourself who have experienced them and for one reason or another don't want to be with them any longer.
    What I would recommend, like other installers here is to get at least 3 written quotations from PSA registered installers.
    You mentioned UPC, do you actually have a house phone with them?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you are monitoring your alarm via a UPC line it will work, but in the event of the power being turned off your alarm is no longer monitored.
    As Kub said , shop around and get at least 3 quotes I think you will find most are more competitive. Also read the small print of whats covered with monitoring & maintenance contracts. Many of the cheaper ones limit you to one or 2 call outs a year. Meaning if a fault is not repaired or corrected properly you could have to pay for further call outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

A voice dialer will work with UPC for alarm monitoring.
    As koolkid has pointed out in the event of the power being turned off your alarm is no longer monitored. The same applies to using your alarm with a app over IP.
    A GSM/GPRS back up will solve this issue.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

altor wrote: »
    The same applies to using your alarm with a app over IP.
    Depending on the IP method & service provider used.There are plenty of IP options that could be powered by the panels back up battery.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Depending on the IP method & service provider used.There are plenty of IP options that could be powered by the panels back up battery.

No point with UPC tho, if the mains is off so is there service.

No point with UPC tho, if the mains is off so is there service.
    Agreed. Unless you have a big UPS and its only your power that goes down.:)

A big UPS is not going to help unless its connected to the UPC at there end.

A big UPS is not going to help unless its connected to the UPC at there end.
    I Know...
    .... and its only your power that goes down.:)

You forgot this bit.
    Unless you have a big UPS

• Advertisement

That would be to power their modems. Have you seen the consumption.?

That would be to power their modems. Have you seen the consumption.?

My point is the UPS is no good on your end if there's is down.
    Defeats the purpose of having it installed as a back up for the mains.
    Not agree???

My point is the UPS is no good on your end if there's is down.
    Defeats the purpose of having it installed as a back up for the mains.
    Not agree???

I thought I did agree.:confused::confused:

I thought I did agree.:confused::confused:

coolaboola..

Advertisement