Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draft down chimney

Options
  • 26-01-2015 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Was just looking for advice on blocking off a chimney. Tenants don't use open fire and say the draft down the chimney is making it very difficult to heat room.
    Is this a reasonable request by them??
    What is the easiest cost effective way of doing it?? Advice needed. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Knowall Macduff

there is an inflatable balloon called a chimsoc look it up on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Personally, I'd rather tenants weren't lighting fires in my house. I'd give in to this request quite happily.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/product/economiser-chimney-flue-balloon/21382/6.3.0

Just make sure they know not to light a fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

I don't think it's an unreasonable request. As a landlord,I have done this for a couple of tenants.

Chimney balloon things is probably the best bet but as the other poster stated you need to book up the fireplace as well in case they forget about the balloon and try light a fire....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,975 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You can do DIY balloon jobs with bubble wrap/ carpet underlay/newspaper in a bin bag for a couple of quid. Be sure to put it in the lease that chimneys are blocked and fires are not to be uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Don't forget that open flue chimneys are also "passive stack ventilators" and help keep the property ventilated. Blocking them can lead to condensation and mould issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Like el-duderino, I block my chimneys with a black bag full of bubble wrap-anything really, lighter the better,when not in use. It makes a big difference to the heat not going up and out the chimney hang a piece of string/twine from the bag with a note as a reminder that it is blocked...

Advertisement