Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim instructor for child with co-ordination problems ?

Options
  • 25-01-2015 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

hey all,

I have an eight year old boy who loves swimming, would swim 7 days a week if he could.

I have put him into swimming lessons 3 times and he has learnt very little.

He has a condition called sensory processing disorder and dyspraxia which makes following instructions difficult for him and it makes his co-ordination difficult.

I have taught him every stroke by physically moving his body parts in the water and when we swim together, he does about 20 lengths of kick board, 10 front crawl and 10 breast/back.

Am looking for an instructor to fine tune his technique, he attends the CRC for occupational therapy but they are just delighted he can swim, but he wants more than to be able just swim, he wants to be good at it.

he needs an someone other than the mammy pushing him, I am no expert and only watch bits of youtube to try help him.

Any ideas or recommendations ? swimming has given him so much confidence, because he struggled to walk, ride a bike, kick a football and really want to foster that interest and eagerness in him

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 willow46

My kids go to UCD for swim lessons and i think there are some amazing teachers there. I worked with another guy from David Lloyd Riverview (Pawel) and he is simply the best teacher I've ever seen. Hard to get lessons as everyone (kids) want only him.
    One of the coaches at UCD was a former Olympic swimmer and now coaches the Irish team. Earl i think? Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Thanks Willow. I actually know Earl from years ago. He has a block in the CRC coming up soon and once that is over, might find some contact details for Earl thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 41 willow46

ah thats good. My middle one has a female teacher who also teaches with Earl, dark hair… she looks very kind and thorough. Lots of attention from what i see.

I had to share this, after 18 months of swimming and me trying to get himself to move his upper and lower body together, it happened today. I could have burst with pride in the pool. The difference it made to his speed, he was flying up and down and totally thrilled with himself, a bit red in the face but that is ok.
    I will be away from the pool for a few weeks as getting my hip out later today so hopefully he won't forget what to do when we get back swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Larry Bee

Congrats to your boy - hope he continues to improve - great to see it coming together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Fantastic news, nothing like that feeling - for him or you.

Onwards to great things now I predict.

Just in case anybody else needs to know. Got in touch with a friend of a friend, and he linked me in with a club at swims in ALsaa on a Saturday afternoon ( up at the airport). They are able to progress him to a level that I could not. His first day, I was watching him from the balcony with some of my bad habits ( I can't do the breast stroke leg kick due to medical issues). After a few weeks, my bad habits are gone and he is lane swimming now. Wonderful club and amazing support for children and himself is delighted with his own progress

Advertisement