Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i good enough to be a java developer?

Options
  • 25-01-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

How do i know if i'm good enough to get into java development? I did java for 2 years in college and also did one of my projects in java but ive no idea if im good enough??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Do an interview for a graduate position. Then you'll know.

Don't really know what you want to hear tbh. What course did you do and where? What results have you received?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wannabedevguy

Do an interview for a graduate position. Then you'll know.

Don't really know what you want to hear tbh. What course did you do and where? What results have you received?

Degree in IT Tallaght, did well in the 2 years i did java, mostly As and Bs, i suppose i just wanna know that if i get an entry level job i wont be completely out of my depth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

You'll be out of your depth, but we all are when we start. I'd be wary of the new guy who reckons he knows everything - those are often the ones who are too stupid to know how much they don't know, and so won't learn anything.

Just remember to listen to the other guys on the job and learn from them - especially senior devs/technical architects as they usually have seen and done it all, from both a technical and career perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Different companies will have different products, libraries and tools to learn.
    I'm a developer for 20 years and would still have to learn new libraries when changing jobs.

For the most part, graduates will not be developing code from scratch.
    At first you'll likely be bug fixing to learn the existing structure of the code.
    So you'll learn a lot from that, and likely have a mentor to help you in the beginning.

So yep, go for it.
    The people who will interview you for a position will/should know whether or not you are up to it.
    If not, it's a failure on their part not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Just remember to listen to the other guys on the job and learn from them - especially senior devs/technical architects as they usually have seen and done it all, from both a technical and career perspective.

+1 you get a good deal of nuggets from the old guard (with any job really)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

When did you graduate, what have you done since then? You're not giving us much information.

I'd guess from what you say that you're probably not, but it's certainly possible to get up to speed.

Step #1 Start actually writing Java again.

Write some Android apps perhaps, that's cheap and easy to get into, and will prove your credentials.
    Alternatively, see if you can contribute small bug fixes to some open source Java projects.

You can be good enough if you do the leg work.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EamonnDunne

I agree with the first step being writing Java again however, due to the complexities of the android activity life cycle I don't think it's the best place to start.

Advertisement