Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faulty playstation game from Xtra Vision

Options
  • 25-01-2015 5:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭

My Dad purchased the Slylanders Trap team pack for my son as a Christmas present back in October.

Obviously the game would not have been used before the 25th of December.

This week it stopped working and will not load anymore. I returned it to the store it was purchased in today, to be time there's only a 28 day warranty on the game.

Surely that can't be right on a game worth over 70 euros?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

My Dad purchased the Slylanders Trap team pack for my son as a Christmas present back in October.

Obviously the game would not have been used before the 25th of December.

This week it stopped working and will not load anymore. I returned it to the store it was purchased in today, to be time there's only a 28 day warranty on the game.

Surely that can't be right on a game worth over 70 euros?

28 day warranty or 28 day return policy? If the disc is scratched then they will consider it damaged by the purchaser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

davo10 wrote: »
    28 day warranty or 28 day return policy? If the disc is scratched then they will consider it damaged by the purchaser.

Definately not scratched. I think she said 28 day return. But surely this would only cover if i was returning it because of a change of mind and not a faulty item?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Definately not scratched. I think she said 28 day return. But surely this would only cover if i was returning it because of a change of mind and not a faulty item?

OP it is up to you to prove it is faulty. Discs generally work or they don't. If there was a manufacturing problem the disc would not have worked from the outset, there is a possibility that the disc has been damaged since you bought it. The 28 days allows you to return the disc unopened for a refund, it does not apply here. If there is a manufacturing fault then you are entitled to the 3R's but as it has worked, they will no doubt inspect it first and claim it was mistreated. OP my kids have an xbox and over the years we have had to through out games because they damaged/scratched discs, but as far as I know you can have discs repaired now.

I know this sounds obvious, but have you cleaned the disc correctly and checked your unit? I don't know much about these games but if they require a certain memory to load and play, have you enough memory space?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

davo10 wrote: »
    OP it is up to you to prove it is faulty. Discs generally work or they don't. If there was a manufacturing problem the disc would not have worked from the outset, there is a possibility that the disc has been damaged since you bought it. The 28 days allows you to return the disc unopened for a refund, it does not apply here. If there is a manufacturing fault then you are entitled to the 3R's but as it has worked, they will no doubt inspect it first.if

I know this sounds obvious, but have you cleaned the disc correctly and checked your unit? I don't know much about these games but if they require a certain memory to laid and play, have you enough memory space?

Ya I've checked the disc, its perfect. No smudges or sratches.

All hes other games play on the PS3 no problem. My brother is taking it this evening to try it on he's one, so that will rule a faulty box in or out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Check the games manual.
    I think some game manufacturers will give you a replacement disk if you send on the faulty disk or proof of purchase.
    Might be a small fee required though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Just go in and point out that as there is no scratches on the disc (assuming there aren't), as it's PS3 we can rule out the console scratching it as the X360 tended to do when knocked (which was the bane of any staff member dealing with games). They're also quite reflective (so should be easy to spot any blemishes) and are harder to scratch as they have an extra protective layer on them (as Blu Ray discs were easy to scratch otherwise!)

They should have a test console in the store if they're in any way half competent about their job to check on their end.

Staff member might have misunderstood what you wanted (replacement disc). Point out it's a Christmas present and if all else fails request to talk to the manager.

Remain calm throughout all this as it's quite easy for staff to get defensive when having to toe the line regarding store policies if the customer is getting angry!

Discs are covered by Sales of Goods (I'm sure) but if there's even a small scratch the retailer could probably say that there is a likelihood that is causing your issue and that it wasn't sold in that condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

A DVD/blu ray has no movable parts. They are also not sensitive to magnetic/static electricity.

If it worked when you got it, which it did then it can only have been damaged while in your use. Possibly placed next to heat source? Radiator? Heater? Moisture?

You might get lucky and xtra vision cave but I'd contact the manufacturer in your shoes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Xcellor wrote: »
    A DVD/blu ray has no movable parts. They are also not sensitive to magnetic/static electricity.

If it worked when you got it, which it did then it can only have been damaged while in your use. Possibly placed next to heat source? Radiator? Heater? Moisture?

You might get lucky and xtra vision cave but I'd contact the manufacturer in your shoes.

Do a search of "Skylanders Trap Team" as it seems this pack has a lot of issues. It's also not just a disc on it's own, it has parts and things that can fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Do a search of "Skylanders Trap Team" as it seems this pack has a lot of issues. It's also not just a disc on it's own, it has parts and things that can fail.

The OP says "and will not load anymore" with the vague description its difficult to say for sure but that sounds like a read error from the disk.

Advertisement