Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" error

Options
  • 25-01-2015 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm not a developer and seeking assistance. I have an amateur website on which I want to put a page where visitors can search in a form and receive results from a Microsoft Access Database 2013.

I'm using Microsoft Expressions 4 to write the site (Yes I know it’s not supported anymore but the site was originally written in Front Page).
    I operate windows 8.1

I have correctly set up the site and the search facility using Expressions 4, WYSISYG to do this but when I publish it I get the following error “The 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' provider is not registered on the local machine.”

Google tells me this is a probably because I use a 64 bit machine with something else being 32.

I have downloaded “Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable”

I have tentatively tried changing the advanced settings in IIS8 for the site to “Enable 32 bit application” and in the process sacred myself to s*** I would wreck my computer.

Any of you experts able to help, I'm happy to receive a pm with offers of assistance at a small cost but it’s a non-profit free service I plan to offer.

Thanks
    Robus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Ok, so have you or have you not gone into the IIS application pool that is running you application and told it to allow 32-bit applications?

The Access Database Engine you downloaded and installed, was it the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Post the EXACT error messages you are receiving, both from any logging your application is providing, and from the Event Viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Robus

Ok, so have you or have you not gone into the IIS application pool that is running you application and told it to allow 32-bit applications?

The Access Database Engine you downloaded and installed, was it the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Post the EXACT error messages you are receiving, both from any logging your application is providing, and from the Event Viewer.

I have gone into IIS, added the location of my site on "sites" gone to advanced settings and changed it to allow 32 bit

i am running Access in 64 bit (i think) my default

I have now gone into web config and changed the connection string to ----connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0

When i run the simulator from within Expressions it wont work wit a warning saying Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 is not registered on the local machine
    But when i publish its ok:)

BUT now i get

C:\Users\Paul\... REMOVED BY ME ....... MDB.mdb' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.

This is hopefully just changing the C;| to
    ftp://t etc

Wife is shouting at me to collect kids from GAA so i'll be back soon to try:(

Thanks for help so far

Not working but i guess getting nearer

Server Error in '/' Application.

Not a valid file name.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif] Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Not a valid file name.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
    Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x80004005): Not a valid file name.] System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection) +1823434 System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject) +100 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup) +45 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +6275598 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +6275911 System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() +47 System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.QuietOpen(IDbConnection connection, ConnectionState& originalState) +53 System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +188 System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +573 System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) +161 System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +2790918 System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +27 System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +261 System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() +82 System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.CreateChildControls() +95 System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +146 System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +61 System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +224 System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +224 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3394 [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Bet you aren't running access 64bit - hardly anyone does. It's definitely not the default.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Bet you aren't running access 64bit - hardly anyone does. It's definitely not the default.

You are indded correct. I'm running
    • · Microsoft Office 2103;32bit
    • · Microsof Web Expression (I assume 32bit but can’t tell)
    • · Windows 8.1 System type X64-based PC
    I learnt so far that
    • · my current hosting company don’t support ASP.NET (as it’s outdated they say),
    • · So I’m in the process of switching to another that I had a different web site on. I uploaded to this web hosting company (no names as I think it might braeak the rules of boards), and it accepted my .ASPX pages.
    • · Following the JET warning I changed my connectionString to ="Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 and my IIS8 advanced setting to allow 32bit and one of these changes let the connectionstring “ work but led to the “.mdb' is not a valid path” warning.
    • · But when I asked this second hosting company for the paperwork to allow them host the site I see an option for “database hosting selection” options and costs, so I'm guessing the old url I'm testing the site on with them does not have a database hosting option and that’s why although my FileZilla says the database is on the server it probably isn't until I pay for it and then the “is not a valid path” will go away
    • · I really don’t understand most of this but am enjoying trying
    Thanks for listening so far and I’ll keep you posted.

PS Boardies in another forum will be delighted when I do get it working.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If your web host supports .net there's a reasonable chance you have some MS SQL databases space allocated too.

Use that instead of access, there's not a huge amount more for you to learn and it'll give you a much better foundation to build from.

Advertisement