Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Genealogy site

Options
  • 24-01-2015 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Does anyone have any idea when irish genealogy will reopen its civil records. It was up and running for a few days until the Data Protection Commissioner made them take down the records.

I wonder how much info will be in the new updated version

Whizkid1
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Tonyjburke wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when irish genealogy will reopen its civil records. It was up and running for a few days until the Data Protection Commissioner made them take down the records.

I wonder how much info will be in the new updated version

I could be wrong of course but I'm assuming now we won't see them back until the legislation has been passed to allow for the records to be back in truncated form i.e. same as the GRONI records - 50 years for deaths, 75 for marriages and 100 for births. Of course they will include the actual certs, not just the index.

Combined with the online church records of course, also slated for this summer I think, it should be a veritable boon for researchers, especially for those abroad. I'd love to have the full index online but if not, these two record sets are the next best thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Tony,

We've no idea.
    They could have redacted what was necessary several times over by now and put it back online. Mod9maple is probably right.

Keep an eye on Claire Santry's blog for news. She'll have it first.

PP

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

mod9maple wrote: »

We are all anxiously waiting for this stuff to be available again. Lots of my research on hold for the moment!

• Advertisement
Advertisement