Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crosley Cruiser Portable

Options
  • 24-01-2015 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I got a Crosley Cruiser Portable (similar to this one: http://www.crosleyradio.com/ProductDetail?Cat=2&pk=CR8005A ) along with some Vinyl for xmas.
    Some of the vinyl I also received (all brand new) tends to skip. I believe the issue lies with the turntable and not the vinyl.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Players like that are really just to enjoy the novelty value of vinyl. You really can't expect great quality playback from them, just some fun. The arm is flimsy & there's little support for the record. That said, keeping your vinyl & needle clean could help reduce skips. Also ensure the player is on a perfectly flat surface - use a spirit level if you have one to check. Vibrations could also cause skipping so make sure it's placed on something heavy or detached from the floor - walking with a heavy step, jumping or dancing near a table where the player is placed will cause it to vibrate & skip the record. Hope these tips help. Enjoy the music!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Diceicle wrote: »
    Hello all,

I got a Crosley Cruiser Portable (similar to this one: http://www.crosleyradio.com/ProductDetail?Cat=2&pk=CR8005A ) along with some Vinyl for xmas.
    Some of the vinyl I also received (all brand new) tends to skip. I believe the issue lies with the turntable and not the vinyl.
    Any suggestions?

they may not be high-end but it should still play all the vinyl you want... is there a way to adjust the weight at the stylus end? You could always tape a 1 cent coin to the headshell (an old trick!) - not perfect but certainly a tried and trusted way to tame a light arm.

It's true that footsteps etc can cause a skip but that's usually pretty obvious by its nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Much appreciated for the replies. Where I have it positioned may be a factor as the sideboard its on can be prone to shaking. Though I've been standing still beside it and it will still skip. I'll also check the needle to make sure its clean.

My hope would be to get a reasonably priced unit of separates in the medium term - nothing overly expensive as I mainly want to collect some of the more influential albums from my teens / 20's.

I'll try weighing the needle down slightly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Be careful with the weighting. While the penny trick is certainly an old one & can help to prevent your arm "skating" across the grooves & scratching the vinyl it may also cause the needle to dig into them too heavily, thus damaging the record in a different way. You should be ok but use with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Diceicle wrote:
    I got a Crosley Cruiser Portable (similar to this one:

Dreadful yokes, just toys really, try sell it and get a half decent real turntable (I got one for 70 in a Market a few years ago). So much more enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Most turntables when shipped have the platter secured with screws or bolts of some kind to prevent it getting damaged during transport, have you checked for these ? The platter should feel bouncy when you press on it.

If you don't remove the shipping bolts then it'll skip and jump like a kangaroo every time you turn the volume up !!

337044.png

Ken

Advertisement