Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selection

Options
  • 24-01-2015 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Does anyone think its sometimes an absoloute mindfcuk and very disheartening when you hear about lads who have failed and then scratch your head when you hear of those who pass ?? ..
    I don't know if its the same in the PDF with the ARW but in my battalion all the guys who have failed are ninjas , fit as fcuk and have had great careers which when you hear gives you no hope at all .. The last bloke from here to pass no one gave him a hope , not fit , didn't do great on his NCO cadre , same with the last officer apparently the DS never thought he would pass at the start but did .. Hear story's like this quite a lot as well as at the briefs ..
    Friend of mine had a bit of a theory ; said the golden boys of the world who breeze through everything will rarely pass reckons its more made up of average joes who have come through their share of personal and professional failure ...obviously I take this with a pinch of salt but Thoughts ? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Stuff like that is as much mental strength as it is fitness. You could be the fittest lad going but if your not mentally tough enough then fitness counts for nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Does anyone think its sometimes an absoloute mindfcuk and very disheartening when you hear about lads who have failed and then scratch your head when you hear of those who pass ?? ..
    I don't know if its the same in the PDF with the ARW but in my battalion all the guys who have failed are ninjas , fit as fcuk and have had great careers which when you hear gives you no hope at all .. The last bloke from here to pass no one gave him a hope , not fit , didn't do great on his NCO cadre , same with the last officer apparently the DS never thought he would pass at the start but did .. Hear story's like this quite a lot as well as at the briefs ..
    Friend of mine had a bit of a theory ; said the golden boys of the world who breeze through everything will rarely pass reckons its more made up of average joes who have come through their share of personal and professional failure ...obviously I take this with a pinch of salt but Thoughts ? :D

You are saying someone you know passed UKSF selection and they were not fit ?

You would get found out on the loaded marches.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lofty wiseman

I didn't know him , gone before I was in but according to lads that knew him ya .. Said he wasn't very very fit and generally nothing special , did poor on his nco cadre , no one gave him a hope and passed ..
    I know that , that's why you scratch your head over what you hear

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janet1989

Are you in the British army?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Waiting for my final medical a while back (discharge) I got talking to a doctor, who had a background in psychiatry ( head shrinker) who had monitored a recent UK selection course a couple of years back for some study the MOD were doing.

Firstly from my own observation at my own unit, from all the people who have gone for it and from those who have passed there is no set type. The company ''golden boys'' or favourites failed as much as the less obvious candidates who may have had a difficult background or checkered past so to speak.

How this relates to the psychiatrist, is that he said SF is not a personality type. They generally, and he said he used term loosely, were higly motivated, had a deep sense of self belief and low neurotic tendancies ( they didn't overthink to the point of self doubt).

He said when you apply this to selection they arrive physically prepared (motivated), when things got tough they could handle the stress of it (self-belief), so people who struggled in recruit training or JNCOs course are familiar with this, whereas ''golden boys'' might not be as familiar with struggling at the back or scraping in just in time as things have always tended to go their way in reference to the original post. As result they don't panic and start to doubt their ability to pass (low neurotic tendancies).

In my opinion,regardless of army anyone who goes for something like that deserves a pat on the back.

Didn't expect that much typing on a sunday morning for my first post ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

'Cometh the hour, cometh the man' and all that.

There's a lot of research out there to show that passing / excelling at special forces selection and training has something to do with a minimum level of fitness and a maximum level of mental resilience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Jawgap wrote: »
    'Cometh the hour, cometh the man' and all that.

There's a lot of research out there to show that passing / excelling at special forces selection and training has something to do with a minimum level of fitness and a maximum level of mental resilience.

Do you have a link ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Walter thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

chopper6 wrote: »
    Walter thread!

It could potentially go that way alright.

Personally myself, having completed ARW selection 3 times (once in reverse) and also having served in the British SAS and the FFL (piece of piss, by the way), I can say with certainty that what is most required to get one's self through selection is a big willy. Which I have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement