Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workshop layout

Options
  • 24-01-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey all,

I'm planning to empty my shed and convert it into a workshop so looking for some opinions on the layout for woodworking large to small sized projects.

Its quite a large shed, 4.26 x 5.0 m roughly with a single entrance and rear double door entrance, no insulation at all (breeze block walls, open tile roof, timber frame single pane windows that are half rotten, and wooden doors) so its like a freezer out there the past few months. Not sure whether to try insulate it it or not.

I have drawn up a plan and attached it for ye to look at.

The only things i need space for are the following:
    • The boiler in the east corner of the shed cant be moved.
    • Need to keep space for 3 bikes, a 5 piece drum set, and storage for logs for the fire.

I have a rough idea myself but am really interested in how others might go about it.

Cheers,
    Woodsy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Stack the timber tight behind the door over to the boiler( neatly) hang the bikes and bin the drum kit. Then put up a list of what you want to fit into the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

My experience suggests that the hardest part of this project by a long shot is stage 1:

I'm planning to empty my shed...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BenAtar

Hey all,

I'm planning to empty my shed and convert it into a workshop so looking for some opinions on the layout for woodworking large to small sized projects.

Its quite a large shed, 4.26 x 5.0 m roughly with a single entrance and rear double door entrance, no insulation at all (breeze block walls, open tile roof, timber frame single pane windows that are half rotten, and wooden doors) so its like a freezer out there the past few months. Not sure whether to try insulate it it or not.

I have drawn up a plan and attached it for ye to look at.

The only things i need space for are the following:
    • The boiler in the east corner of the shed cant be moved.
    • Need to keep space for 3 bikes, a 5 piece drum set, and storage for logs for the fire.

I have a rough idea myself but am really interested in how others might go about it.

Cheers,
    Woodsy

Hi Woodsy, nice size / shaped shed.....
    Ideally, insulate the roof, seal the concrete? floor, ditch the two big doors and block off. This provides another wall and importantly, no draughts! Check the electrical supply and boost if required with separate circuits for lighting, tools, heating.
    Provide some heating for yourself and your tools - rust avoidance etc.
    Replace the rotten windows - make them ( Keep it simple ) yourself to keep costs down.
    Set up the big (make it big) workbench on the south-facing wall for natural light, storage / shelving on the north side. Good luck, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1: keep double doors: vital for allowing stuff be delivered on pallets: eg fuel for fire, beer for Rugby world cup, new machines etc, 100" LCD TV..
    and most importantly if you are working with 2.4 by 1.2 timber you need room front and back.
    Your shed is 5. so 1 m for circular saw, .6 for shelving along back wall leaves you 3.4 which is 1.7 each end.
    [ in any event if the gargae doors are to front you may need planning to change them to a window

Same if planing long timbers

Read other posts here on managing condensation in workshops

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its a workshop not a living room so I'd forget drum kits and TVs.
    You need to put as much money into insulation as possible, especially for the roof.
    Generally, we buy machines that have to sit in the middle of the floor and machines that need a benchtop. A square shape is ideal for this. They need power and dust extraction and I'd plan to extract every machine you buy.
    Lastly, storage becomes a problem very quickly and you need to plan where those sheets of plywood ( that you got for a bargain ! ) will sit. I could go on.......the truth is no workshop is big enough.

• Advertisement

recipio wrote: »
    ......the truth is no workshop is big enough.
    100% :)

Because the table saw needs loads of infeed space and out feed space for sheet goods / long planks another option to consider is

: Circular plunge track saw a la Festool TS55. The 8 x 4 rests on the big workbench, no infeed / out feed space required 😄 you're working indoors in the warm workshop, not freezing your wotsits off with the two doors wide open 😉.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's one thing i need to consider - my shed is only 13'x6.5' - but i have a garage for storage.
    i'm hoping to get into woodworking, but am at the stage where i don't know if a table saw or a decent chop/mitre saw will be best (i wouldn't really have room for both).

that's one thing i need to consider - my shed is only 13'x6.5' - but i have a garage for storage.
    i'm hoping to get into woodworking, but am at the stage where i don't know if a table saw or a decent chop/mitre saw will be best (i wouldn't really have room for both).
    Have you considered a band-saw as an alternative to a table saw?
    A decent mitre saw with a stand and supporting rig is an absolute joy to work with, especially for repetitive lengths. My last job had 63, just set it up and chop and go
    They are all dangerous of course but I reckon the band saw is the least because all the blade power is down with no risk of anything being flung.

If you get a table saw, don't ever stand behind the blade when cutting.

You won't make much progress without being able to rip and crosscut wood -so you need a table saw and mitre saw :D
    A small table saw would do for the moment until you get the longing for a good cabinet saw with a sliding table. Beware,this hobby is more expensive than golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

A big tablesaw with a sliding table isn't always necessary. I have a Jet Supersaw and use a crosscut sled for cutting material to length. It's handy and doesn't take up as much room as a big saw would. I keep meaning to pick up a mobile base from Rutlands but will hold out until they have two for the price of one again

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Woodsy-eile

Cheers for all the input folks.

I reckon I will be keeping the big double doors for access, the other single entrance isn't easily accessed, i will just have to figure out how best to keep the draft out! There are only one part :) I still need to fix the rest, and check the electrics, and insulate as best as possible.....this will be more work than i thought!

I'm making a custom workbench to fit with storage underneath for all the fixing, fasteners and finishes and I reckon the south facing wall would be probably be best. Deliberating whether to have another bench on the east wall for smaller more delicate work....although this would probably end up just getting cluttered. Thinking i should have it on castors so i could roll it out and possibly use it as a mobile station for larger work in the center of the floor???

As far as machinery, i will be buying a bandsaw early feb, and dust extractor (BTW rutlands is having a decent sale on, last day today). Holding off on the bench saw untill i definitely need it but like the idea of la Festool....money may be an issue though. Apart from storage there isnt much else i planning to put in as of yet.

Its all about efficiency and only you can design that. For benchtop units, try and build drawers underneath - besides organizing things they keep the dust away.
    Think of overhead racks - they will store planks. Lastly you need to finish things in a dust free atmosphere. Try and set a clean area aside for this.

Priority List:
    1. Table saw.
    2. Circular plunge track saw, ideal for sheet goods in a small/medium sized workshop.
    3. Drill press
    4. Router(s), table and portable.
    5. Bandsaw.
    6. Dust/chip extractor.
    7. Jigsaw.
    8. Sander/finisher.
    9. Planer/Thicknesser.(nearly forgot this).
    10. A big lotto win! 😄
    +++++

Over the weekend I ordered a dust chip collector from Rutlands' sale, plus chisels, t track, jig
    kits, etc. Also getting a SIP bandsaw from Ray Graham's, a Fox planer thicknesser from McQuillan's. That's my budget blown!

Cheers for all the input folks.

I reckon I will be keeping the big double doors for access, the other single entrance isn't easily accessed, i will just have to figure out how best to keep the draft out! There are only one part :) I still need to fix the rest, and check the electrics, and insulate as best as possible.....this will be more work than i thought!

I'm making a custom workbench to fit with storage underneath for all the fixing, fasteners and finishes and I reckon the south facing wall would be probably be best. Deliberating whether to have another bench on the east wall for smaller more delicate work....although this would probably end up just getting cluttered. Thinking i should have it on castors so i could roll it out and possibly use it as a mobile station for larger work in the center of the floor???

As far as machinery, i will be buying a bandsaw early feb, and dust extractor (BTW rutlands is having a decent sale on, last day today). Holding off on the bench saw untill i definitely need it but like the idea of la Festool....money may be an issue though. Apart from storage there isnt much else i planning to put in as of yet.

Advertisement