Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham festival preview nights best & worst

Options
  • 23-01-2015 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Gents, who is best and worst jockeys to get for a preview night? Knowledge be one thing but craic another.... I know first hand Davy Russell is top class, any one else any opinions ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 sizing europe

Patrick Mullins is great for these nights , always gives an honest insightful account of his dads yard

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Davy does about twenty of these and gives different opinions on all of them, he's full of sh1t. Save yourself some money and listen to the final furlong podcast it's top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Forget about of all of them if interested in backing winners , good evening out is all , better ways to study for winners such as suggested above

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Cart

Davy does about twenty of these and gives different opinions on all of them, he's full of sh1t. Save yourself some money and listen to the final furlong podcast it's top class.

Agree totally Davy Russell is Shiite In it for the money and terrible tipping also throws in a few insults to his fellow pros just to get a laugh total tosspot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Geraghty...cafe en seine...charity tip last year was Jezki & More of That ew Double...nuff said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sean Quinn in McKennas (Harolds Cross Bridge) last year was great, gave a few tips for before Cheltenham aswell to get a few quid in the kitty! Andrew Lynch in the same location was decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Puppy power's not the greatest jockey in the world but he's not a bad race reader at all,found him imteresting any preview I've seen him at. Stay away from trainer Tony Martin if you're looking for trainers,he's just a walking lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

Ken Whelan is usually great craic for these. Would love to see Mick Winters doing one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Ken Whelan is usually great craic for these. Would love to see Mick Winters doing one
    Mick winters at one of these shocking nights would have me in attendance, big time even in south Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

sting60 wrote: »
    Mick winters at one of these shocking nights would have me in attendance, big time even in south Kerry.

Mick is a legend, pretty sure he'd be more than happy to do one if asked.
    Considered doing one of these as a fundraiser for our gaa club, he would have been first man asked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Mick is a legend, pretty sure he'd be more than happy to do one if asked.
    Considered doing one of these as a fundraiser for our gaa club, he would have been first man asked!
    Imagine these nights advertising Jim draper as the main expert my god ,the mind is in a spin.I wonder who has interest in the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Salthill with Patrick Mullins and B. Curley is usually quite good and informative

Shanee. wrote: »
    Salthill with Patrick Mullins and B. Curley is usually quite good and informative

Informative as in a rambling, incoherent Curley attempts to boast about a all-weather gamble 6mths away? Lol

Mullins always gives a decent opinion of the yards best chances. And Curley is the best person I've ever seen pull off a gamble so yeah he is a great addition too even if he speak that much

Shanee. wrote: »
    Mullins always gives a decent opinion of the yards best chances. And Curley is the best person I've ever seen pull off a gamble so yeah he is a great addition too even if he speak that much

I was only referring to Curley and I've seen the videos. Legendary plotter he may be but doesn't have a clue when it comes to Cheltenham. Struggles to remember what horses are running, in which races and usually goes off on an awkward tandem totally unrelated to the topic. If that's what you want at a festival preview night then fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Did the bumper horse Curley tipped at last years preview ever run does anyone know?

He gave one called Whispering Gallery belonging to Ferguson and Bloomfields a few years ago. Never ran at Chelt and hasnt been seen much since. Think he tipped Welds horse last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

You're going to hear all the big statements from Jockeys and trainers about certain horses anyway, these things fly round the internet afterwards. Get yourself to one where an insightful mind like Donn McClean or Gary O'Brien can tell you how to approach backing the races and where to get value. The smaller ones in pubs etc are often better than the big hotel ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Geraghty...cafe en seine...charity tip last year was Jezki & More of That ew Double...nuff said.

When is this on do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    When is this on do you know?

It's normally a week or two before Cheltenham so the start of March. I went to it once or two and it's good but the fact the place isn't open solely for the Cheltenham preview the place can be loud and hard to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Patrick Mullins isn't great at the tips from the times I listened to him.
    He put up Pont Alexandre and Briar Hill as naps last two years respectively.
    Both sunk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I go for the atmosphere and it gets you in the mood for Cheltenham. A few pints and a good discussion. But i certainly wouldn't be going expecting to pick up winners from my experience most of them are fairly poor especially Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Gave simon dig back in 2012 as well!

pugw wrote: »
    Gave simon dig back in 2012 as well!

And said you could "have whatever you want on Sprinter" his first year too. He wasn't being bullish for the sake of it either, just being honest in believing he wouldn't be beaten, so will be very interesting to see what he says about him this time round..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 2 justinre

I'm setting this one up on in Red Cow Inn on March 5th. Has a small panel of 4, so far, including Paul Carberry, Damian McElroy, Ian Gaughran and Conor Maxwell but hopefully there will be some good insight for ye and it's for Enable Ireland which helps children and adults with disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

And said you could "have whatever you want on Sprinter" his first year too. He wasn't being bullish for the sake of it either, just being honest in believing he wouldn't be beaten, so will be very interesting to see what he says about him this time round..

One thing about Geraghty if he is asked straight out he will tell you, he is one of the few I would listen to.

He said he was happy with Sprinter at Ascot and thought he was just ring rusty.

Advertisement