Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoga for new starter with lower back issus

Options
  • 23-01-2015 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

My wife is considering Yoga as an exercise option to help with issues in her lower back. What type of Yoga is best suited for her - she is 45 and no real experience in exercising. Any suggestions for locations based around Dublin.

Thanks,
    Muppet Man

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Hi Muppet Man,
    It is worth knowing that there are many forms of yoga which vary greatly from soft gentle classes, to extremely strong and energetic classes.

For someone with back problems, some of these forms of yoga could be very beneficial... while some stronger classes could actually cause more problems.

Best to make sure she tries a quite gentle class that does not have too many people in the class... and that the teacher is well trained and experienced with people with back problems.

The best form of yoga for lower back problems would be either Satyananda yoga or Viniyoga or someone trained in Yoga for Health.

There is an article you may find useful about the different types of yoga at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/different-types-of-yoga/

And a list of almost all the yoga teachers in Dublin sorted by Postal Code areas at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/yoga-ireland/local-yoga-classes/dublin-yoga-classes/

For specific back injuries one of the best yoga teachers in Dublin is Lisa Petersen who's contact details are on the page above (Search using Ctrl F)

If you would wife would like to experience a whole weekend with Lisa which would also include one to one chats with her as well as the classes, there is more information at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/Ireland-Retreat-Holidays/hatha-yoga-and-meditation-with-lisa-petersen/

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Dave, sorry for the delay in replying. Thank you sincerely for all the valuable information. A lot to digest there, but this is really helpful.

Thank you again
    Muppet Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Disclosure! Middle aged woman here with long standing lower back problems. I would recommend Pilates in preference to yoga. I've done lots of yoga but from time to time (even with a great teacher) I aggravated my back. 3 years with Pilates (floor based-not reformer) my back is more manageable. My pilates teacher is v careful about injuries and always keeps an eye on what each person is doing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,460 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For anyone looking to do pilates with an injury I would recommend Collins Avenue Physio

They were recommended to me by another physio who thought physio-led pilates would do me some good. I had some physio sessions with them first, to ensure they were happy with my suitability for the classes as well as deal with some ongoing niggles.

They took time to fully understand my issues and put me in a class that suited. Of coures, being physio-led there is always someone on hand who can assess any negative impact the classes may have and adapt the routine accordingly. They only do classes with up to 5 participants, meaning everyone can get a lot of personal attention if needed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 yogasingh

Boost Your Energy With Yoga , Yoga is a deeply spiritual practice, improve stamina, strength and body flexibility, concentration and balance, improved metabolism,.
    Yoga Teacher Training Course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Just going on my boyfriend's recommendation - he injured his back two years ago and finds Reformer Pilates great.

Advertisement