Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever been denied motorhome insurance or had premium increased

Options
  • 23-01-2015 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hiya,
    We're currently with Dolmen, and the policy is up in a few weeks, so I decided to give Stuarts insurance a call to see what their quote would be.
    I had a tip in the car back in April, fairly minor incident, but it was my fault and my car insurance paid out. I had full no claims bonus protection on the policy. When I mentioned the incident to Stuarts, they said Aviva (the underwriters) wouldn't insure me because I've had a claim in the last 5 years. I mentioned that I still have my full NCB, so the fella is going back to check this out.
    So - have any of you had any issues getting a new/renewed policy if you've had a claim against your motor policy in recent months? Either a policy denied, or a rise in premium

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kelbal wrote: »
    Hiya,
    We're currently with Dolmen, and the policy is up in a few weeks, so I decided to give Stuarts insurance a call to see what their quote would be.
    I had a tip in the car back in April, fairly minor incident, but it was my fault and my car insurance paid out. I had full no claims bonus protection on the policy. When I mentioned the incident to Stuarts, they said Aviva (the underwriters) wouldn't insure me because I've had a claim in the last 5 years. I mentioned that I still have my full NCB, so the fella is going back to check this out.
    So - have any of you had any issues getting a new/renewed policy if you've had a claim against your motor policy in recent months? Either a policy denied, or a rise in premium

thanks

You only have a full NCB with Aviva to everyone else your back to 0 NCB. Protected NCB is an insurance policy on your insurance that is generally only recognised by the company you've paid the protection to, some might say it's a scam to keep you tied to them for 5 more years.

Regardless of having an NCB or not you have had a claim made against you so your insurance risk has increased, your premium with Aviva will go up next year but you'll still have full NCB, so that might be the reason why your having trouble.

BTW you can't mention having a claim you need to inform any companies who you have a vehicle policy with that you've had a claim. If you have a crash in the camper you need to inform your car/bike insurance company and vice versa or else you risk having your policy voided.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Anyone know what happens when you have multiple cover with one insurer? Our camper and 2 cars are all with Axa. Last year we had a small incident with the camper and a French toll booth. Axa settled the third party claim for a couple of hundred euro [no damage to the camper], but increased my camper premium next time. I've never mentioned this when re-insuring the cars, thinking Axa already know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

JonMac wrote: »
    Anyone know what happens when you have multiple cover with one insurer? Our camper and 2 cars are all with Axa. Last year we had a small incident with the camper and a French toll booth. Axa settled the third party claim for a couple of hundred euro [no damage to the camper], but increased my camper premium next time. I've never mentioned this when re-insuring the cars, thinking Axa already know about it.

They clearly know about it it, however the onus may be on you to declare it regardless as they may not link the two together. You may unfortunately only find the answer to that question if you have an accident in your car. Perhaps better to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Our car and camper are with 2 different insurers. Stuarts won't quote me because I've a recent claim. Is there any chance Dolmen won't renew my policy, if I tell them about the claim? I would have thought companies were obliged to quote, and can't refuse. Is my premium likely to go up?

Flat rate innit.
    You can always insure anybody else as the policy holder (who already has a car policy for half price) and €50 extra gets you open drive 25+ ie. yourself.

• Advertisement

JonMac wrote: »

Insurance policies are based on "utmost good faith" by you not informing them of the claim on your camper policy there is a chance they could void your car policies or only pay out 3rd party claims, with a possible civil case to reclaim this payout from you (I haven't heard of this happening but it's possible). Even though it's the same company they are most likely different departments and will only communicate with each other when you claim. Never assume anything with insurance always tell them of anything.
    kelbal wrote: »
    Our car and camper are with 2 different insurers. Stuarts won't quote me because I've a recent claim. Is there any chance Dolmen won't renew my policy, if I tell them about the claim? I would have thought companies were obliged to quote, and can't refuse. Is my premium likely to go up?

You can't not tell about the claim. If you are refused cover, it's by 3 companies for cars not sure about campers with less companies, you can contact the insurance ombudsman and they'll force the 1st company to quote you, but they don't have any control over how much it'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I had a small claim on my car policy all dolmen wanted to know was the nature of the claim and the final value. The policy is flat rate and doesn't go up. Don't bother shopping around.

When stuarts 'refused' you they were obliged to inform you of the procedures you could follow.

With regards to sir liamalots suggestion of opendrive. Opendrive usually excludes the vehicle owner and spouse, its supposed to be an occasional thing not a substitute for named driver.

Open drive + divorce?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

moodrater wrote: »
    I had a small claim on my car policy all dolmen wanted to know was the nature of the claim and the final value. The policy is flat rate and doesn't go up. Don't bother shopping around.

thanks moodrater - thats what I wanted to hear:)

moodrater wrote: »
    With regards to sir liamalots suggestion of opendrive. Opendrive usually excludes the vehicle owner and spouse, its supposed to be an occasional thing not a substitute for named driver.

Opendrive is usually an endorsement on an insurance policy that anyone with a full licence between the age of 25 and IIRC 65 can drive. What you are thinking of is the extension that some policies give to allow the person named on the policy to drive a similar vehicle, this usually only offers 3rd party cover but some polices have fully comp, provided it's not owner or leased to the policy holder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Del2005 wrote: »
    Opendrive is usually an endorsement on an insurance policy that anyone with a full licence between the age of 25 and IIRC 65 can drive. What you are thinking of is the extension that some policies give to allow the person named on the policy to drive a similar vehicle, this usually only offers 3rd party cover but some polices have fully comp, provided it's not owner or leased to the policy holder.

My previous car policy specifically excluded the vehicle owner from open drive.

Stuarts take on open driving is even more limiting:

"Please note you can avail of open drive for an additional cost of €80 a year (Premium €77.96 + Broker Fee €2.04). This covers family members only between 25 - 70. They must have a driving license for 5 years or more."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Normally they specify your spouse by name too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Had a claim years ago, no damage to either vehicle, but the owner of the car I bumped (less than 5mph) claimed for her child. NO injuries, just "trouble sleeping" . Her doctor prescribed calpol.My insurance settled out of court. €11,000. First I knew was when they wrote to tell me. Several years latet bought camper and Went to insure it. Was refused because payout was over 10 000. Wife insured instead and I ended up non driving passenger.
    Two years later the lady tried similar claim for her other child. I raised he'll with my insurance company and said we would fight it all the way to the supreme court if we had to. The lady dropped her claim a week later. E ough time has now passed to allow me get insured in my own name again.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Insurance companies always try to get there money back after a claim hiking policys etc. for small claims you may be better off paying yourself and in the process getting a better deal with a higher excess on your policy.

It does not seem to matter if you are 30years claim free on a policy they will still nail you if claims are so high why do they not spread the burden on the regulars who claim all the time and give some leeway to safer drivers.

Some years back ladies used to get a extra discount for being careful drivers (no sniggering now) but that is gone too with E.U. intervention.

Can they not have a E.U. wide insurance where the claims burden would be shared with a huge database of 25 countries which would lead to more competition in a free market. Sorry just dreaming!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Insurance companies always try to get there money back after a claim hiking policys etc. for small claims you may be better off paying yourself and in the process getting a better deal with a higher excess on your policy.

It does not seem to matter if you are 30years claim free on a policy they will still nail you if claims are so high why do they not spread the burden on the regulars who claim all the time and give some leeway to safer drivers.

Some years back ladies used to get a extra discount for being careful drivers (no sniggering now) but that is gone too with E.U. intervention.

Can they not have a E.U. wide insurance where the claims burden would be shared with a huge database of 25 countries which would lead to more competition in a free market. Sorry just dreaming!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

I've just got my insurance with allianz through richardsons and they were a pleasure to deal with http://www.richardsoninsurance.ie/schemes/campers/
    No hassle about roof heights or engineers reports etc, just send in CVRT, log book and a few pictures. It seems that you can earn NCB on the policy also.
    Secondly, I learned from Carole Nash that they will insure VW vans and campers (no other makes) in the ROI. I couldn't get a quote from them as I have a bongo but they're worth contacting if you own a VW.

Advertisement