Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotty to script the next film.

Options
  • 23-01-2015 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I've just read on IMDb that Simon Pegg is to be involved in writing the next film. I'm a big fan of some of his other films like Paul and Hot Fuzz. But I don't think he has the talent for a property like Trek. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

starvin wrote: »
    I've just read on IMDb that Simon Pegg is to be involved in writing the next film. I'm a big fan of some of his other films like Paul and Hot Fuzz. But I don't think he has the talent for a property like Trek. Any thoughts?
    Evidently, talent does not effect your chances of getting that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I read somewhere that the next film will feature the "Ewok" more in an effort to emulate Guardians of the Galaxy :rolleyes: Expect more wacky comedy so which is probably why Pegg is getting writing credit.

Shaun of the Dead and the others he's done are great but this is just another nail in the coffin for any notion of these films being more Trek-like rather than "generic sci-fi actioner with pretty people #2859"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's a movie, not a tv series so you can only do so much with it. You cant have the main characters spending 40 minutes expertly debating whether Data has rights. That wont get people in the theatre sadly.

I thought they did a good job with the 2 reboots personally. I think certain fans forget there have been more poor Trek movies than good ones.

Pegg wouldn't be my choice but I'm not going to prejudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Very mixed feelings to be honest. On the one hand anyone other than Orci & Kurtzman would be an improvement and I'm a big fan of Pegg himself but anything he's written without Edgar Wright has been distinctly sub-par.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well, at least he can use a pen and keyboard.

I've watched two episodes of his show Spaced. I didn't like the first one that much and it took me a while to go back to it. Hopefully he'll keep the fanboy indulgences in check.

• Advertisement

Co-writing. He has done a lot of good work - let's see how this works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Can't be worse than Lindelof & co.

As mentioned above though the rumour is that Paramount are looking to bring Star Trek in a more Guardians of the Galaxy direction.

At the moment I can't see myself caring too much about Space Action Explodey Film (X)III and that's pretty much what we have to look forward to for the 50th anniversary. Perhaps we need to organise an alternative (or in this case Prime) 50th anniversary event :p

Advertisement