Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 607, broken radiator 25mm hose connector

Options
  • 22-01-2015 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,
    I have an old peugeot 607, and while trying to remove the small hose at the top of the radiator, i broke the plastic nipple (on which the thin hose is connected to the coolant top up tank) from the radiator. For the moment i have stuffed it with a screw, and also sealed the hose.

. I'm wondering what is its function, and am i causing a further problem by removing this (since i cannot connect to the radiator now). My guess is its the pressure release from the radiator into the top up tank, in the event of overheating? I know the top up tank has a pressure release cover.

Cheers in advance for any advise.

Gerry in Leixlip.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

FishD wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have an old peugeot 607, and while trying to remove the small hose at the top of the radiator, i broke the plastic nipple (on which the thin hose is connected to the coolant top up tank) from the radiator. For the moment i have stuffed it with a screw, and also sealed the hose.

. I'm wondering what is its function, and am i causing a further problem by removing this (since i cannot connect to the radiator now). My guess is its the pressure release from the radiator into the top up tank, in the event of overheating? I know the top up tank has a pressure release cover.

Cheers in advance for any advise.

Gerry in Leixlip.

Need a new rad cheif. Its the overflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FishD

cheers for the quick reply.

Saw one on mister auto for 50€. Not too shabby. Does not look to difficult to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FishD

Ah.
    Thought i'd nothing to loose to try fix the rad, and actually could get the car running for the weekend!

Used a TV cable joiner (f type), with threads on both ends, to tap into the radiator.

So bored out the plastic insert from the middle of the joiner.
    Made some pilot holes in an old bit of facia, 9mm, 9.5mm, 10mm, and tried inserting.
    The 9.5mm was a snug enough fit to do the job.

To the car,
    Bored the original hole carefully to 9.5 mm, sanded down the broken plastic.
    Put some heat resistant silicon on the threads of the connector, and with a bit of force screwed the short end it into the plastic, until the flange stopped at the surface of the plastic.

I checked there was space behind the threads (and it was not fouling agaist the wall) inside the rad by pushing a piece of wire through and looking at the length.

Because the end sicking out is shorter than the original nipple, i trimmed the hose a little, for a 'fresh' connection and put on a new 'screw tight' clip (10-13mm), a little silicon on the threads, and tightened it up. Left it overnight for silicon to set.

Only risk i see, is this coupling rusting. I saw one these with gold plate, and it would be easy to replace the original one, now that the threads have been cut.

So far all good, with no sign of any leaking.

Might help someone else.

FishD wrote: »
    Ah.
    Thought i'd nothing to loose to try fix the rad, and actually could get the car running for the weekend!

Used a TV cable joiner (f type), with threads on both ends, to tap into the radiator.

So bored out the plastic insert from the middle of the joiner.
    Made some pilot holes in an old bit of facia, 9mm, 9.5mm, 10mm, and tried inserting.
    The 9.5mm was a snug enough fit to do the job.

To the car,
    Bored the original hole carefully to 9.5 mm, sanded down the broken plastic.
    Put some heat resistant silicon on the threads of the connector, and with a bit of force screwed the short end it into the plastic, until the flange stopped at the surface of the plastic.

I checked there was space behind the threads (and it was not fouling agaist the wall) inside the rad by pushing a piece of wire through and looking at the length.

Because the end sicking out is shorter than the original nipple, i trimmed the hose a little, for a 'fresh' connection and put on a new 'screw tight' clip (10-13mm), a little silicon on the threads, and tightened it up. Left it overnight for silicon to set.

Only risk i see, is this coupling rusting. I saw one these with gold plate, and it would be easy to replace the original one, now that the threads have been cut.

So far all good, with no sign of any leaking.

Might help someone else.

That's good going. Fair play

Advertisement