Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RyanAir and Illness

Options
  • 22-01-2015 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

So my partner attempted suicide 2 weeks ago and we were due to fly out to poland tomorrow. Naturally enough the doctor wrote a note stating that this cannot happen now due to the mental issues.

We sent the letter to RyanAir who in turn came back and said this is not a serious illness and not entitled to anything.

Am I wrong in thinking that this is outrageous? Especially when backed up with medical letters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

In general, airlines do not refund tickets other than for death and are under no obligation to do so, even if some of them are being more friendly. If you want something other than that then claim off your travel insurance, if you had decided not to bother with travel insurance then that was your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I don't know if it's outrageous but it's pretty well known Ryanair flights are almost always non refundable. I presume you don't have travel insurance. If you paid by credit card maybe it's worth contacting them.

Their terms and conditions state that refunds for medical issues are at their discretion and they could argue that a psychological condition does not necessarily mean the passenger couldn't travel.

I'd still keep at them though. They may have a policy of automatically refusing every refund request and only consider it when people don't give up after the first rejection.

Best of luck to you and your partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

veetwin wrote: »
    I don't know if it's outrageous but it's pretty well known Ryanair flights are almost always non refundable. I presume you don't have travel insurance. If you paid by credit card maybe it's worth contacting them.

Their terms and conditions state that refunds for medical issues are at their discretion ......

If the OP signed up to those terms and conditions, why should they now turn to the credit card company as you suggest - for what remedy??

The father of a friend of mine died recently and one of the family got a full refund from Ryanair when a flight had to be cancelled. I'm afraid that Ryanair probably look on the doctor's letter mentioned by the OP in the same way a lot of employers look on sick certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

How much are you out of pocket for the fares?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

coylemj wrote: »
    If the OP signed up to those terms and conditions, why should they now turn to the credit card company as you suggest - for what remedy??.

Because some credit cards have or at least used to have some form of travel insurance built in?

• Advertisement
Advertisement