Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need an auctioneer to sell house

Options
  • 22-01-2015 3:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30

Can you DIY selling your own house? Put up a sign,phone number and name?
    Or do you need an auctioneering license to sell your own house? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Meath08

You can sell your house yourself. My husband and I sold our house last year. We placed an advert on Daft.ie and we were lucky enough to be sale agreed within a fortnight at a higher figure than any similar houses in our area sold for in the previous year. We were fortunate to have multiple bidders but not every house may be so lucky. For us it worked brilliantly but it may not be for everyone. Will you be comfortable negotiating if it came to it and can you be available for viewings. All our viewings were in the evening or weekends which I think gave viewers more flexibility.

A standard advert on Daft is €195. For me it was worth it and even if we had been unsuccessful, it would have been worth risking that amount in the hope of saving the 1-2% in estate agents fees.

When we went sale agreed, we asked the buyer to give their deposit to our solicitor due to there being no estate agent involved. After that the solicitors handled everything. The other positive for us was that the buyer and ourselves had direct contact and were able to keep each other up to date on how things were progressing and could chase up our solicitors if there appeared to be unnecessary delays.

Hope that helps!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 vonievega

Thank you that was really helpful and gives me confidence that it can be done, can I ask how much the solicitors fees were?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Meath08

Our solicitors fees were about €1,200.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can you extract as much money as possible from potential buyers? Have you a sales background.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 vonievega

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

vonievega wrote: »
    Can you DIY selling your own house? Put up a sign,phone number and name?
    Or do you need an auctioneering license to sell your own house? Thanks

From a buyers perspective I would hire an estate agent.

We viewed several house with were being sold without and unless you have sales skills I would say an agent will maximise the value of your house

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I sold mine myself. EA would be a must in an area of high demand and possible bidding wae

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I bought my property just over a year ago from a vendor selling it himself. Absolutely no problems and I didn't even pay a deposit, just the full amount on completion.

Advertisement