Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Brazil...all info welcome :)

• 22-01-2015 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

My partner is Brazilian and on the last year of her student visa. She is a qualified CELT Teacher but is finding it almost impossible to find well paid work here due to visa restrictions which have been made even more difficult with the new implementations in January. Because of this it looks like she will have to go home in December. I want to with her for a year. I think it would be a great experience. I'm a bit anxious about how difficult it would be to get out of Brazil if I didn't have a lot of savings going and find it difficult to get work. I have a house here so would need to get it rented and all my stuff moved out. I also have some loans etc that I would need to continue paying while away. I would like to have as much info as possible though from anyone who has done anything similar in regard to getting work there, cost of living, culture shock factors etc. so I can make an informed decision

Thanks a million...scared yet excited!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

Brazil is a very big country, so it would be helpful to know what city you plan to move to. If you do a TEFL course you will have no problem picking up work as an English teacher, being a native speaker you will be very much in demand. Brazil is a great county and the people are very welcoming, however there is extreme poverty there and its pretty dangerous especially if you are not clued in. You will need to be always vigilant. Naturally, learning some Portuguese will be a big help. Brazil can be expensive, somethings are cheaper than here, some the same price. If you enter as a tourist I think you get an automatic 3 month visa to stay there, if you overstay they will hit you with a fine when you are leaving (a fixed amount per day overstayed). Make sure you stay on the right side of the law regarding that, because they check your passport when leaving.

There is loads of information on this site. http://www.gringos.com/forum/f87/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DJMcSpud

Hi Markiemark2005. Thanks for the reply. Would help to narrow it down a bit alright ;) I would say initially we would be in Belo Horizonte as her family is from Vicosa and it's quite close. From there we shall see how the prospects are. I am going to start a TEFL course in February and am currently working as a credit controller so am hoping these skills might help too find corporate work. I'm only beginning with my Portuguese and have a loooooong way to go but I plan on doing my best. I've been warned about the fact that it can be dangerous, for locals and not just tourists, if you are in the wrong area or aren't mindful if surroundings etc. I'll keep in mind the law too! No point causing unnecessary issues for myself ;) I was wondering if you have any info regarding accommodation? Most places seem to be unfurnished and with municipal fees aswell. I'll check the info on the site that you have provided too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

As far as I know places are unfurnished. There are also plenty of taxes, like general property ones and water charges also. Electricity is expensive also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 John from ennis

have you moved yet djmacspud?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

I'm heading there on the 17th of august again I lived in sao Paulo for a year and loved it..
    My wife is from Brazil so she showed me around..
    I thought it was very cheap there and the people there are very welcoming..

• Advertisement

brazil isnt cheap.

gasoline,electricity and water are expensive.

Brazils economy is on bended knees,tens of 1,000s of public sector workers put of of a job recently, the major car manufacturers closing up and letting people off. the private sector is in major trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

brazil isnt cheap.

gasoline,electricity and water are expensive.

Brazils economy is on bended knees,tens of 1,000s of public sector workers put of of a job recently, the major car manufacturers closing up and letting people off. the private sector is in major trouble.

When I was there last the likes of alcohol, food, are all cheap..
    Prices of houses are very cheap in certain areas..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

When I was there last the likes of alcohol, food, are all cheap..
    Prices of houses are very cheap in certain areas..

Things change, the Brasilian economy is hitting the skids unfortunately. Inflation is sitting at around 8%, so the cost of living is rising. Household spending is decreasing and unemployment rising. The Petrobas scandal took a real bite out of the Brasilian economy and the credibility of the govt.

Right now they are making cuts to welfare and social spending. I think it's the right thing and I hope it provokes a recovery but it's not universally popular.

I spend some time in Sao Paulo with work. The most common complaints from the guys in the office are the traffic and crime. Most have a commute that makes the Dublin rush hour look like A Sunday morning drive round the Ring of Kerry. Great food though, I like the buzz but it's a level of hectic even beyond Argentina.

heres something else that will probably concern you OP. you will not be able to get your Irish licence transfered to a brazilian licence.
    if your licence was from another country,ie a UK licence,yes,you could get it transfered for a brazilian one.

speaking of documents, try to get your brazilian RNE and CPF in ireland. be prepared for bureaucracy like youve never experienced before. be prepared for a mood change in your partner also... what? youll see ;)

http://www.wsj.com/articles/brazil-central-bank-raises-2015-inflation-forecast-1435146798

inflation in brazil fast approaching 9%

whats it in ireland.... 5%?

point being..... brazil getting more an more expensive.

Advertisement