Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Establish whats a fair price for a hearing aid???

Options
  • 22-01-2015 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭

My Mum needs a new hearing aid.

Just been quoted a price for a hearing aid - which seems expensive - but that maybe because I know nothing about what they SHOULD cost.

Just wondering if anyone can advise on how best to verify that the price is fair/reasonable for what we are getting.

Nearly got a heart attack when I heard 2,150 euros for one and 3 k for two.

Now to be fair this includes the full back up service with the company actually calling out to the house if theres a problem etc.

And I accept that its possibly for the very best top of the range hearing aid that will do great.

But I was just amazed at the figure quoted.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From my (limited) experience, this is cheap
    336205.png

And this is expensive;
    336206.png

The reason is that the 2nd one needs lots more channels as there is a "dip" in what you can hear.

So it's how bad the hearing is, what's wrong with it, and also how new it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From the above; how much it can cost depends on the amount of channels. Having only 4 channels means it'll be a lot cheaper than 8 or 16, and this depends on how wide the spike is, where it is, etc. How new the model is also comes into play, as does what the benefits of said models.

Just ensure that the company has been around for a while, and not a fly-by-night service that may not be around in a few years when you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

I have sent you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

joanmul wrote: »
    I have sent you a pm

Thank you I got that - and genuinely appreciate it

Advertisement