Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike maintenance

Options
  • 22-01-2015 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I'm currently looking at getting into riding but, please excuse my ignorance, know f*** all about the kind of maintenance required.
    I drive a car so am aware of basic things such as tyres, oil and filter changes but that's about it really.
    Do bikes need to go through MOT? Do they have timing belts? What would be the main motorbike maintenance I would need to be aware of?
    I like the idea of getting my hands dirty and learning how to do as much of this as I can. Do you guys do all your own maintenance or do you just take it in?

Again, please excuse my total ignorance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Maintenance required depends really on type of bime u get. Most common scenario is oil, oil filter , air filter, plugs. Other then that: chain and sprockets, valve clearances, camshaft tensioner. Some bike will have carbs which will need to be balanced every now and again. Some bikes will have a shaft drive which means there is no chain and sprockets to look after.

EDIT: also there is no NCT for bikes, and chain tension has to be set every now and again on bikes that have a chain drive. Tyres, pads need changing now and then as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Thank's for the info szatan84, to be honest I don't know what bike to get at the minute. I'm planning on taking one of the direct access courses in May/June and will probably have a bit of a better understanding of the kind of bike I should be looking at then. At the minute I've been looking at the CBF 500 or sv650 but I could be waaay off. (but that's a discussion for another thread.)
    Do you look after your own maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Most lads would do their own basic maintenance, oil & filter change, Spark plugs, air filter, chain tension. Next I would read up on choke and throttle cable replacement as these could go mid journey and it will save a world of pain if you can change them on the spot. To be honest it does hit you when you first start riding how important it is to have the bike preforming well and safe. You may get away with a blown tyre on a car but a poorly maintained tyre on a bike could be deadly.

The likes of carb balacing and valve clearance are jobs that will take some study on. I currently have my carbs removed and cleaned and im just waiting on new seals to be delivered.

The internet is your friend, youtube guides etc etc. Also there are some very knowledgeable posters here that can help you out with hints and tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Speaking of YouTube, check out Delboy's Garage for lots of helpful video tutorials on basic (and some not-so-basic!) DIY jobs.

Welcome to the world of bike maintenance! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Thanks Richard tea & peckerhead!

• Advertisement
Advertisement