Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Broken front tooth at school

Options
  • 22-01-2015 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi All,

My son broke part of one of his front teeth at school while playing with friends. It was just kids playing so no-one's fault really. As it's his adult tooth, we immediately went to the dentist and got it bonded so it's fixed for now. But the dentist warned that it will likely get broken and need to be repeated several times until adulthood when he can get a more permanent fix (presumably a veneer or implant).

The school gave us the form for making a claim under the pupil/school insurance but my question is will the insurance only pay for a single bonding or should I expect that they pay for the tooth to be bonded several times and eventually the permanent fix? I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience of dealing with the pupil insurance policy and how generous it actually is. I'm not looking for a payday, but I know that cosmetic dentistry is crazy expensive and eventually he will need to get something permanent since it's his top front tooth.

Thanks.

fergoc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I can only agree completely with you that your son will need dental care for the broken tooth throughout his life.

Similiar happened to a relative of mine several years ago and the tooth has needed a lot of work - a crown and replacement crowns etc. I need not mention that it creates a lot of hassle and worry also.

I can't offer any advice on the insurance claim. My only advice is that your son gets the very best dental treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

Once the claim is made , that,s it. I had a case where a crown was indicated but the child was too young. We placed a composite tip instead. Filled out the insurance form stating that.
    Parent was told verbally that they would cover a crown in a few years.Parent was given a letter to that effect which she never read.
    3 years later when the crown was needed , she showed me the letter. It was a disclaimer , once they paid for the tip that was it.
    You will be given a claim form by the school , ask your Dentist to put in his clinical findings and recommendation on the relevant column. This should include relevant costs.

Advertisement